xv. the deadman

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Once it was nightfall a man approached the hall emerging from the night, Uhtred finally ceased his pacing. The man slowly walks past them and sits at the head of the table and starts to eat in silence. Finan and Gene share an uneasy look before glancing at Uhtred.

"Forgive me for not being awake to greet you, lord. Bjorn has given me little rest these recent times." Gene sighs loudly gaining the attention of those around her.

"We understand." Aethelwold quickly says.

"The gods are wanting true men so, I thank you for being here, Uhtred of Bebbanburg. After tonight I hope to sleep." The mysterious old man then steals Aethelwold's ale, Finan looks around anxiously and moves closer to Gene for protection or reassurance she wasn't sure.

"Fetch the blood," The man she assumes is Eilaf orders. Uhtred looks up at the thief in realization. "It is time." They follow Eilaf outside and she and Uhtred notice it's a Christian site.

"It is a Christian graveyard."

"Yes, lord," Hæsten speaks holding the torch. "Perhaps that is why Bjorn cannot rest nor pass."

"Or perhaps it is a ruse that Erik came up with to convince Uhtred to side with him against Alfred?" Gene says and notices that Uhtred looked at her in understanding.

"You believe Erik is capable of that?" Hæsten says with fake shock.

"Yes, he told me a similar story to me as a child to stop wandering in the woods." Hæsten moves toward her in irritation but stops when both Uhtred and Finan enter his path. They soon stopped at a grave, the thief was put on his knees, begging anyone who would listen.

"To raise the dead, lord, we need to send a messenger across the gulf." Hæsten explains, Gene scoffs at the lie.

"He is lying. I would know if the dead rises." She whispered to Uhtred.

"Watch the ritual closely, anything that stands out informs me." He whispered back to her and pushed her back to Finan, who quickly grabbed her for protection. She fights the urge to tease the Irishman for his ghost superstitions and allows the man to wrap his arms around her waist, his chin propped on her shoulder to watch the scene.

"It's not real." She soothed quietly and patted his hands, he pulled her closer to his chest when a bird flew above.

"He is guilty, twice over."

"I beg you, lord, please. I have a wife, I have children. Please!" The thief begged looking at Uhtred.

"What did you steal?" Gene questions, the man looks at her in shock before answering.

"Just a lamb, lady, for my family."

"And furs." Hæsten cuts in.

"For my family, lord."

"I'm sorry, but a thief twice over deserves to die." Finan says over her shoulder, Gene nods in agreement.

"No, please!"

"Put it in his mouth!" Eilaf says wanting this to be done and over with no doubt. The nameless Danes restrain the thief as they force his mouth open.

"A harp string, lord. A bridge from our world to Bjorn's." Gene rolls her eyes at the display, they didn't know the first thing about spells.

"Kill him," The thief begs once again after spitting out the string and soon screams to Uhtred again. "Get the message into his mouth and kill him!"

"Spare me! Spare me and I will repay you with gratitude!" Hæsten covered his mouth and then slits his throat, the dane soldiers then lean his body over the grave to soak the blood up.

"Bjorn, you have blood. I have given you life, I have sent you a message. If it's peace that you want, you shall not have it until we hear you speak." Eilaf calls out, the group stands in silence. Soon the dirt starts to move on the grave and soon hands break through, Finan reaches for Gene's axe on instinct for protection while hiding behind her, yet he still has one arm around her. She looked at Uhtred and noticed he too looked fearful, but she didn't flinch.

She laughed.

Bjorn crawls out and stands before them, spitting the dirt from his mouth.

"The harp string." Finan acknowledged fearfully.

"It's fake, this is all fake. Trust me in that, Fin."

"Welcome, Bjorn. This is Uhtred, who has sent a good many Dane to the place where you live." Eilaf says and she didn't like the insult he sent Uhtred's way.

"I do not live."

"You have a message for lord Uhtred?" Bjorn straightens up his spine before speaking.

"Lord Uhtred, I see you now. The gods have had their sacrifice and the brothers have tonight begun that which cannot be stopped. Lundene's streets are red with Saxon blood, you are to be king," He reaches out to Uhtred, and Gene holds her axe out at the impersonator while moving Uhtred closer to her. "King of Mercia, king of Saxon, and Dane, king of other kings. You, lord Uhtred." Aethelwold glances at Uhtred with poorly concealed envy. Bjorn then walks backward before falling onto the grave, Gene laughs loudly at the fake death.

"Bury him. Lord king it is done." Eilaf walks away while Hæsten watches Uhtred intensely.

They all leave and gather around a table in the hall, Gene sits between Finan and Uhtred, and the Irishman is leaning over in her space to hear and speak to Uhtred.

"What we have just witnessed," Uhtred trails off and looks to Gene and Finan. "Do you believe it to be true?"

"I do." Aethelwold says and Finan nods slowly.

"And me. It put a shiver through your spine, no doubt." Finan looked to Clapa who nodded.

"It was fake, Uhtred. This Bjorn is the same one my brothers would use to scare me as a child. It's a trick, a distraction. I know my brothers, Erik wants to manipulate you and Sigefrid wants your heart on his sword. Don't fall for it." She warns, Gene then lays her head in the crook of Finan's shoulder and neck. Uhtred rubs her back as he ponders what she has spoken of.

"So what now? You are sworn to Alfred?"

"Alfred is nothing compared to the gods. I would suggest," Uhtred just sighs. "Uhtred, it is our birthright to be called kings."

"The gods are not for you, weasel. They have warned me of your numerous betrayals both in this moment and the future." She hissed out, Finan caressed her hair to calm her while Uhtred poked her side in a warning. Uhtred then calls upon Hæsten who slowly and reluctantly walks over.

"The brothers Sigefrid and Erik, is it true what Bjorn said? They're attacking Lundene?"

"I cannot say for certain, lord, but that was the plan to sail upriver and take Lundene, which would now be your city as king of Mercia." Hæsten says attempting to lure Uhtred into their plan.