xviii. playing them

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Why warn the Danes that we're coming?" Finan questioned Uhtred as they walked to their horses. The twins had perched on their horse already while Fintan was running around between the three of them.

"Who asks? Them or you?" Uhtred asked and smiled at the young boy.

"I'm asking, but the men would like to know."

"To worry them. They know that I am coming but they do not know when. It will give them sleepless nights, and when they do sleep, I want them to dream of a cold, cold hell." Uhtred said with a grin as he grabbed the reins of his horse.

"Hell is a place of fire, lord." Osferth said as he walked past them with bags, Fintan made an excited sound and ran to the monk.

"Uh, what are you doing?" Finan questioned and looked at Gene who laughed quietly. The man took parenting her and Osferth seriously.

"Did you believe you were leaving without me? Not a chance." Osferth said with a smirk, they gathered their things and she handed Fintan to Osferth who held him on the saddle. They eventually arrive in a small village called Crowland and Finan grows weary of it.

"I'm noticing this village is different from the others we've passed." Gene turned to look at the twins who frown at the Mercians in disgust and she can't help but to crack a smile.

"It prospers." Osferth answered.

"In the heart of Danelaw, it prospers." Finan spoke with suspicion.

"I have a thirst, my friends."

"Everyone here is as fat as a buttered bishop." Finan says as they walk through the town. Gene nudged Finan forward when he looked at the woman at the well and chuckled at him, the twins each held one of Gene's hands while Uhtred carried Fintan, the boy reached out with hands outstretched and Uhtred couldn't deny him anything.

"A buttered bishop?" Osferth repeats.

"A buttered bishop. Do you have a problem with that?" Finan asked with a smirk.

"You! Who are you?" A man shouts at them as they go to enter the alehouse.

"Who are you?" Uhtred asked in amusement.

"I am Guthlac, thegn of this place." Gene snickered at the sight of him.

"I am Uhtred of Bebbanburg." He said as he looked around.

"Never heard of it."

"And we have never heard of you." Gene added and pulled the twins close as they snuggled into her waist.

"We serve the lady Aethelflæd and thus, Mercia. We do you, no doubt." Uhtred says with a bored expression.

"We are Mercians, yes."