Chapter 23 Lukas

With Clem tucked protectively under my arm, I led Mateo inside the house. I could feel his nervous and excited energy radiating off of him and his wolf, Collin. Caleb was sitting at one of the stools bellied up to the island in my kitchen while Garrick was standing on the other side. They each had a cup of coffee. Lily was leaning against the couch while Callie was playing with some of the toys she leaves here on the carpet. Heavy awkwardness was hanging in the air.

Everyone moved at once when we entered the room. Callie was the first to speak. She shrieked and tossed herself in my arms. I was forced to let go of Clem to pick her up and she clung to me like a koala.

"Uncie Luke!" Callie giggled, "She's so pretty! Is that the Luna?" She was wrestling in my arms, reaching out towards Clem.

"Cal, you need to lower your volume and relax. Remember what I told you about her?" I said quietly. Callie pouted but stopped squirming around.

"Can you say hello to Clementine nicely?" I offered Callie and she grinned.

"Hi! I'm Callie!" She waved at Clem who smiled.

"It's nice to meet you Callie, I'm Clem." Clem reached over to shake her tiny hand, "And I think you're very pretty, too." She smiled.

"Callie, can you give us a minute? Uncle Mateo just met his mate, too, and they need a little adult time." I said to her, setting her down. Callie nodded and ran back to her toys.

"Alright," I sighed, taking Clem's hand and turning back towards the situation, "How are you feeling, Caleb?" I began.

"Unsure." Caleb's one word answer was given through clenched teeth as he fidgeted with the coffee mug.

Clem sighed and stepped away from me. I reluctantly let her go and watched as she walked to Caleb's side.

"Caleb, this is Mateo." She made the introductions and Mateo came stumbling forward.

"H...hi." He was bouncing up and down with nervous energy. Clem shot him a look that said to calm down and he immediately settled.

"Do you want to see him shift?" Clem asked.

Caleb looked between Clementine and Mateo with mixed emotions flashing across his face.

"You don't have to if you're not ready, yet." Mateo piped up, eager to soothe his mate.

"No, I need to see for myself so I can stop denying it." Caleb nodded, wrestling up all of his courage and jumping down from the stool.

"We can go in the backyard. It's private there." Mateo suggested and Caleb looked at Clem again, nervously.

"I'll be with you the entire time." She promised. Caleb finally nodded.

Lily stayed behind with Callie while the rest of us went out to the yard. Garrick was standing protectively by Clem's side, already knowing what his duty was. Mateo walked across the yard and stripped, just like I had done earlier today. It was hard to believe that that was just a few hours ago.

Caleb stayed silent as he stared at Mateo, his eyes never leaving his face. Clementine remained beside her friend, rubbing comforting circles on his back. I positioned myself between Mateo and the others, ready to step in if I had to. I nodded once at Mateo who then locked eyes with Caleb.

"Are you ready? I want you to know that I won't hurt you, okay?" Mateo looked as nervous as I had felt earlier.

Caleb could only nod.

Finally, Mateo shifted as carefully and smoothly as he could so as not to traumatize his mate. Caleb stumbled backwards, his eyes huge and his mouth hanging open. Clem gripped his arm as if she was holding him up and I watched Collin very closely. Collin crawled low to the ground until he was a few feet away from Caleb, then he dropped all the way down to his belly and rested his head on his front paws.