ꜱɪx

"HEY, IT'S 2:30!!  GET UP," Blake screeched.  "LET'S GO, GUYS!!  GET UP!!  GET UP!!  WADE, DALTON, LET'S GO!!"

He started clapping his hands together, and running from tent to tent shaking the thin fabric walls.  You crawled out from the tent, cursing the sun for being too damn bright.  So much for getting up early.  Blake was probably hoping to wake up at 2 a.m., not 2 in the afternoon.

"WE'RE GONNA MISS THE DAMN GAME!!  NICK!!  GET UP!!  Damn..."

"Dude, you see my camera anywhere," Dalton asked him.

"Nah man," Blake replied, before ducking back into his tent to wake up Paige.

"You seen my camera anywhere," Dalton asked Nick.

"Like I give a shit about your camera," Nick replied.

"So, you and Wade talk some more," Paige asked your sister.

"We're just in different places right now," Carly responded.  "And he hasn't given me a guilt trip for going, so I can't give him one for staying."

"Oh my god, it's that smell again," Paige complained.

"I think it's coming from over there," Wade said, pointing in the same direction as you had deducted last night.

"Yeah, let's go follow the smell," Nick said sarcastically.

"Well, I for one, want to see what it is," you said, beginning to make your way over.

"Why," Paige questioned, almost disgusted.

"Come on," Carly shouted, beckoning Paige over as she followed you.

The boys stayed back as the three of you trekked out into the woods.  Blake tried to start his car, but the engine sputtered and stalled, and ultimately failed to turn on.

"What the hell was that," he asked himself.

He opened up the hood to his car, only to see the fanbelt had a clean cut right in it.  He ripped it out angrily, showing it off to the other men.

"No way, are you serious," Wade questioned.

"It was brand new," Blake shouted angrily.

"Someone's fucking with me," Nick chuckled.

"I can not believe you're making me do this," Paige complained.

The three of you couldn't smell anything but the smell, and you knew that it was definitely something dead.  And Paige was now pissed that Carly had brought him along.

"Come on, it'll be fine," you told her, continuing forward.

"I'm gonna throw up," Paige muttered.  "I hate you."

Then, you slipped.

You shouted with surprise as you fell, and the two girls started to panic and scream out your name as you rolled down a hill.  All the bumps, roots, and sticks you hit were more painful than they should've been.  You managed to catch yourself once you hit the bottom, and you were surprised by the wet squishy substance surrounding your arms.

You looked up, and saw that there was a collecting of dead creatures, mainly deer.  There was another backroad, and dead creatures were lining the edge for what felt like a mile, and you were now right in the center.  You were holding yourself up on a deer carcass. The squishy shit was bloody organs.

You had gutted a deer before, so this was nothing new.  Nothing scary.  You were more surprised by how many dead animals had been piled up on one another, filling a ditch.

"Hey guys," you shouted.  "I found the smell!"

"Wade," Carly shouted.  "Help us get them out of here!"

"GUYS, HELP US," Paige screeched.

You wondered who had done this.  Did whoever make this shit not know that catch and release only related to fishing, let alone deer?  Especially after you've mutilated them?  And most of these were fresh, even though it wasn't deer season, now making this guy a felon.  Jesus.

"WHERE ARE YOU," you heard Blake scream.

"GET DOWN HERE," Paige demanded.

"(y/n), I'm coming," Wade shouted.

"I'll just wait here then," you snarked loudly.

He jumped down as the three boys emerged from the woods, Carly and Paige still panicking.  Wade jumped down to where you were, and also panicked a little because of how many dead critters surrounding you.

"Grab me kid, come on.  Come on," Wade instructed, grabbing you.

He pulled you out and you grabbed his shoulders, then he helped you to your feet.  At the top of the hill, Carly noticed something even more unnerving.  There was a human hand sticking out from beneath all the dead things.

"You alright," he interrogated.

"There's a roadkill pit down there," Blake observed.

"You alright," Dalton asked you with a laugh.

You were genuinely convinced that man was always drunk or high.  Or both.

"Yeah, I just fell in," you shrugged.

You looked at your hand, and the blood that had seeped in-between your fingers.  You wanted to wash it off, but it wasn't like there was a sink anywhere, so...

"Oh yeah, that smells about right," Nick pointed out.

Then, you all heard an engine rumbling.  An orange truck began to drive forward, and Blake suddenly tensed up.

"Hey, is that the truck from last night," he asked.

"Not unless he fixed his headlight," Nick answered.

The truck turned around, driving in reverse to park in front of the pit,  and you saw another deer corpse in his truck bed.  A man jumped out of the driver's seat, and climbed up into the bed, and kicked down the hatch, then grabbed the deer by the antlers and one of the back legs, then threw it into the pile.  Everyone watched this action, transfixed.

"Hey," Carly called out to him.  "Don't you see that?!"

She pointed at the hand reaching up from the pit, and the man looked to where she was pointing.

"What is that," she asked him.

The man hesitated, then jumped down into the pit.  He hesitantly made his way towards the hand.

"No way," Paige muttered.

The man leaned over, and grabbed the hand.

"What are you doing man," Blake asked.

The man began yanking on the hand, and everyone panicked.  Has this guy never heard of tampering with evidence?  Not to mention, everyone else around you weren't used to the manhandling of dead things, so this was abnormal.

Then, the hand popped right out, and the man began to wave it around.

"Anyone need a hand," he shouted.