twelve

Camp Runamuck, 1894

Challis Whitmore, then eight years old, wept, "Mother, Father, please don't go," she held on tight to her parents and teddy bear. "Sweetheart, don't weep. You'll be okay," with a smile, her mother reassured her. "We'll see you in a few weeks. Remember to send us letters," her father planted a kiss on her forehead, quieting her down. Challis finally released them with a meek nod. After saying their farewell, her parents left in their carriage, and Camp Runamuck's gates were locked.

The other kids already had their friends established. The young girl headed over to the dock and took a seat, staring out at the rippling lake water. A young boy noticed the girl as he passed by shortly after. He walked over and sat next to her because he didn't like that she was by herself. "Milo Thatch is my name. How about yours?" The twelve-year-old greeted. She sniffled, "Challis Whitmore."

When she shyly glanced at him, Milo could see the redness in her eyes. "What's wrong?" he pondered aloud. Camps should be cheerful places so for what reason would she say she wasn't? "I long to return home. I don't have any friends," she murmured. Milo raised his glasses, which were a little too big for him, and said, "You've already got me, I'm your friend," which comforted her. "Have you previously visited this camp?" she cleaned her eyes dry on her sleeve.

"Of course. Since I was ten, I have come to camp. You should know that I'm the belly flop champion," Milo grinned. "My brother is ten," she said quietly. "Where is he now?" Milo looked around camp with interest. Challis buried her face in her teddy bear as her voice cracked, "He's with the angels in the sky now." Out of respect, Milo did not dare inquire about the material's faint blood stain.

"Don't feel down. Can I demonstrate my winning move?" Milo gave her a shoulder pat. "Indeed," Challis gazed toward him. Milo dashed off in a flash into the nearby cabana shed for the dressing room. He came out in a stripy swimming costume that looked a little tattered, but he still wore it with confidence. "Are you ready?" he called out. Challis gave a nod.

She watched as Milo ran as fast as he could down the dock. He belly-flopped into the water at the end, making a huge splash. Challis giggled for the very first time since her brother's death. The young boy came swimming up to her. "How was I?" he inquired. "That was perfect" she applauded. Challis and Milo shared a sincere smile as they stared at each other.

Little did they know, from that day on they would become inseparable.

~~~

When Challis found herself on the wrong end of a gun that was pressed against the back of her head, she was jolted out of her thoughts. "Stand up," a familiar voice ordered. Challis took her time getting to her feet and her breathing was labored. "What on earth do you think you're doing?" she asked. "I'm doing my job," Commander Rourke declared in a matter-of-fact tone. Although he was unable to see her face, he was aware that she feared for her life.

"Does your job require holding me at gunpoint?"

"Sure. You and anyone who tries to stand in my way. The heart of Atlantis will be mine."

"How dare you! This is wrong and you know it."

"Jeez, save the goody two shoes speech for somebody who cares 'cause I certainly don't."

To keep the peace, Challis refrained from muttering every foul word she knew. Rourke looked around, pressing the barrel deeper against her head. "Where's Thatch and the princess?"

Challis refused to disclose their location. Commander Rourke didn't get angry. No no, he simply tried another method. "If you would rather not tell me, that's fine but either way, you're going to join my side," he spoke calmly.