six

"This is it. It's gotta be," Milo checked the Shepard's Journal and compared it to the cavern.

"Alright, we'll make camp here," declared Rourke. On the ceiling hung a glowing green lantern of some sort. "Why is it glowing?" asked Audrey. "Pah, it is a natural phosphorescence," informed Mole which prompted Vinny to say "That thing is going to keep me up all night, I know it," with a frown. 

The group set up camp and once everyone was settled, dinner was served.

"Come and get it," Cookie jangled his triangle before proceeding to dump the food on each person's tray. "For the appetizer, Caesar salad, escargot and your oriental spring rolls," he grinned. "Yuck, I wanted the escargot," Mole whinged. "Knock yourself out," Audrey shoved her tray into the geologist's hands and he cheekily stuck his tongue out.

Milo was served the biggest pile of slop. "There you go Milo, put some meat on them bones. You're so skinny, if you turned sideways and stuck out your tongue, you'd look like a zipper," Cookie commented before the merry chef hauled his pot away. Challis took one bite and pulled a face. "Bleurgh, it's greasier than usual," she took a big gulp of water but not even the drink could save her from the revolting taste. 

"I miss my favourite meal at the diner," Milo moved his tray aside. "Yes me too. I'm starting to wonder if Cookie is even a certified chef," she replied. Milo then picked up the Shepard's Journal, squinting his eyes. "What's wrong?" Challis peered over his shoulder. 

"This doesn't make any sense. See, in this passage here, the Shepard seems to be leading up to something," the linguist tapped his spoon against the page, "he calls it the heart of Atlantis, it could be the power source the legends refer to but then it just cuts off. It's almost like there's a missing page."

"Perhaps the page was already missing before the book landed in Iceland? I mean, it is old. Centuries-old. Anything could've happened to it" Challis mused "but I suppose it's part of the mystery."

"That's what this is all about right? Discovery, teamwork, adventure. Unless..." Milo's head turned to the others and he lowered his voice, "they're just in it for the money."

"If they were here for any other reasons besides money, I'd be flabbergasted," she laughed, "at least in your case you'll have incredible stories to tell your future children."

Milo tilted his head to the side. "Do you ever want children?" 

Challis pondered for an answer. "One day, although I'd like to be married first with a truly magical, fairytale wedding. As a young girl, I dreamed I'd marry the love of my life in an enchanted forest and I'd look like a princess," her eyes sparkled but then she paused, "it sounds ridiculous, I know."

"No no. I think that's a wonderful dream. You'd look beautiful. Uh- you see, not that you don't already because you always do is what I mean" Milo removed his glasses, cleaned them and placed them back on. "Milo James Thatch," Challis' hand flew to her chest "are you flirting with me? I didn't realize you were quite the seducer."

Milo's face reddened which made her laugh. "Oh, don't mind me. I'm only teasing," she nudged his arm. Whether she was teasing or not, Milo meant every word he said. 

At the campfire, Dr Sweet was having a change of heart. "You know, we've been pretty tough on the kid. What do you say we cut him some slack?"

"Yeah, you're right" Audrey turned to look at Milo and Challis, "hey! Why don't you come sit with us?" she called out to them.

"Really? You don't mind?" Milo's face lit up.

"Nah. Park it here."

Milo headed over with Challis.