☆ Chapter 18 ☆

Now that I had done the impossible, I had to keep moving. I couldn't celebrate for too long. Judging by the fact that a new command cancelled the previous one, my quirk was more suited for short-term behavioural changes (unless I could train that limit, of course). I liked that wording: short-term behavioural changes. Made me sound smart.

I debated going back to the main base and sharing the good news with Aizawa, but I decided to have more fun. Although I wasn't as happy as I had expected, I was still thrilled: I had learned something new about myself.

I ran farther into the forest to release my excitement. I wasn't worried about getting lost because I could use Bakugou's explosions as a reference. Worst case scenario, I had to climb a tree.

I don't know how long I ran, but I had to stop eventually. I leaned against a tree, breathless.

"Had a nice run?" Chuuya's voice.

"Why are you here again?" I was starting to get a bit annoyed at him.

"I wanted to congratulate you."

"For what?"

"For getting your way. You really played your cards well. I'm going to miss you."

"Thanks," I replied and forced a smile. "But it's not over yet. Whatever that bad thing is hasn't happened yet."

"Oh yeah, Bakugou's kidnapping."

"Way to spoil the surprise," I mumbled. Chuuya didn't seem to have heard that.

"Eliana, I'm sorry about what I said that day."

"Could you be a bit more specific?" I rolled my eyes.

He took it in the most unexpectedly. "I'm sorry for saying that I used to love you. I still do, but I'm willing to wait."

After he said it, his aura changed. I felt uneasy too. "Do you feel it too?"

"Yeah, I wonder what it is."

"But something is wrong, right?" I wanted to confirm.

"Yeah."

Although I had decided to conceal my discovered power from him, I couldn't help but figure out why we were both on edge.

"Trees, tell me what's wrong." A drastic behavioural change, but short-term nonetheless.

I listened intently. "Chuuya, there are villains. A few. Further away from the camp. That way." I pointed behind him.

"I trust you. Thanks, Eliana. See you later then."

"Nope, I'm coming with you." Or rather, I'm not letting you go alone.

"What about your hero rules?"

Since when did Chuuya care about stupid hero rules? "It's clearly a special case. The villains weren't supposed to show up before dark."

He seemed torn. His face betrayed it. Soon I realised the real reason for it. Breaking the rules obviously didn't bother him.

"You were the one who said I have a powerful gift," I pleaded, unsure why, "and that was before I could command inanimate objects." 

Chuuya's smirk betrayed his satisfaction. "Do you know when it's alright to chicken out and go home?"

"There is no such time."

~

Chuuya and I ran in the direction I had pointed. I had expected him to pull ahead since his gift allowed that, but he matched my pace and ran next to me.