Three: Wolfsbane and a Dangerous Revelation

First Draft

Rowan's POV

We pulled into the circular driveway in front of our grand, expansive house, and I glanced at Fiona to gauge her reaction. To my surprise, I saw none. Instead, she asked, "Are you sure Kat will be okay?"

"Besides a horrible hangover, she'll be fine. But let's get her inside," Rian said from the back seat.

"Do you have her, bro?" I asked, holding the car door open.

"Just help me get out without banging her head."

We maneuvered the groaning young woman from the car and Rian carried her to the door. I unlocked it, standing out of the way, and glanced back at Fiona. She looked uncertain, walking with slow, measured steps, eyeing me with wariness. "Come on in. I promise we don't bite." I grinned.

Fiona faltered and a look of shock widened her eyes. "Oh, you are kidding. I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. That was too soon."

"Yes, after what I witnessed tonight with that... whatever it was."

"Vampire," I told her, placing my palm on her back and guiding her inside.

Rian stood in the foyer, still cradling Katrina. "Where should we put her?"

"I think, under the circumstances, we should take her to Mom's room since it's on the ground floor." I looked toward Fiona and asked, "Would you feel more comfortable staying overnight in the same room? You know... so you can watch over her."

"I'm not comfortable staying here at all, but since you've given me little choice in the matter... it's fine." She stood with her arms crossed and lips in a firm, straight line.

"If you guys are done... Kat needs to be cleaned up," Rian said, giving us a sharp look.

"Are you sure your mom won't mind? I mean, as big as this house is, I'm assuming you have guest rooms," Fiona said while she followed us down the long hallway.

"Mother is on an extended holiday in London and wouldn't mind if she were here," I assured her.

Rian laid the girl on the bed and I said, "Go grab Kyra. She's about their size or close enough. Tell her to bring something comfortable for them to sleep in. Fiona may need her help with Kat." Rian left to do his brother's bidding.

"I'm going into Mother's bathroom for some supplies to clean and bandage her neck," I told Fiona and smiled. She nodded her head, keeping her eyes on Katrina, who lay motionless on the bed.

She had taken a seat on the edge of the mattress and was holding Kat's hand as I stepped back into the room. I stood for a moment, taking in the scene and Fiona's beauty. I studied her profile from the side and grinned at her perfectly small, pert nose. Her hair was a sight to behold as it flowed over her shoulder in waves to her lower back. I wondered if it was natural. I'd never seen hair that black or shiny. It was gorgeous and so was she.

I cleared my throat, and she looked at me and smiled before saying, "I'm sorry for being so... so..."

"Difficult... distrusting..." I ventured with a grin.

She stood. "Yes, but... it's not wise to leave a club with strangers. So, I hope you can understand where I'm coming from." Fiona arched her brows, waiting for a response.

"I understand, but this isn't an ordinary situation."

"Indeed," she agreed. "Now, let's check out this wound on her neck, shall we? What did you bring?"