Thirteen: An Alpha's Bond and Confession

First Draft

Rowan's POV

We backed out of the room, giving my brother and Kat privacy to continue what they were doing or get dressed. I didn't care to think about it very much. In one way, I was relieved, thinking perhaps Rian would stop lusting over Fiona. Even though I could never mark her as mine, I wouldn't stand by as my brother tried to woo her. But this recent development would produce more problems since neither of us couldn't afford to be involved with Fiona or Kat—for obvious reasons and then some.

"Well, now that I know where she is," Fiona said, shaking her head, "I'm sorry I got so worked up and should have foreseen something like this. Kat has a..." She looked at me with blush-stained cheeks, searching for the words and tapping her chin. "Let's just call it an enormous appetite for the opposite sex."

"There's nothing to apologize for, Fiona. After everything you have been through in the last few days, especially yesterday... I don't blame you for not wanting to be alone." I smiled, hoping to put her at ease, and tried in vain to tear my eyes from her. She stood against the wall in the shadowy hallway, looking so beautiful it should have been a sin. Her tousled, long, wavy hair matched the straps of her black tank top, and the tiny sleep shorts she wore showed off her toned legs to perfection.

She smiled back, but narrowed her eyes at me. "Why are you being so kind when I was just getting used to your abuse?" Fiona folded her arms under her chest, and my eyes drifted to her breasts.

She cleared her throat, dropped her arms, and frowned. Oh, she had busted me big time! "Listen, I now know you had nothing to do with things concerning your father, nor do you condone his actions. Plus, you are making it harder and harder to be nasty to you." I watched her eyes widen and felt our connection growing with intensity, our bond allowing me to read her thoughts. She wanted me as much as I wanted her.

"I thought you enjoyed being nasty to me?" Fiona studied me, her round, suspicious eyes piercing my soul, causing my pulse to quicken.

"No, I hated it," I confessed, shaking my head. "But it was for the best. Trust me on that, but you make it so bloody difficult." Her confusion was my undoing as she cocked her head to the side, and I focused on the curve of her neck, my inner wolf begging me to mark her as mine. I swallowed hard past the lump in my throat. This wee lass had me tied in knots.

"Why was it for the best?" she asked. "You seemed to like me the night we met in the club..."

"If you only knew..." I raked a hand through my hair in frustration.

"Tell me then." She pushed off the wall, standing far too close, her scent surrounding me, and placed her hands on her lush hips.

"You're a human or part fairy, lass! And you are driving me mad!" The sadness in her gaze gutted me.

"I'm sorry for being such a pain in the ass." She dropped her arms to her sides and made a move to flee.

I grabbed her elbow. "Fiona, you are the sweetest and sexiest pain in the ass ever, and that's the problem." I groaned in annoyance at my no-win situation.

She jerked free from my grasp. "You aren't making any sense! And I'm tired of your games, Rowan. I'm going back to bed. Good night."

"Wait!" I pleaded, holding my palms up. "There's so much you don't know or understand, Fiona!"

"Then tell me so I'm not so damned confused!" She stood with defiance, her eyes slit in displeasure, looking exasperated.

"Don't you feel it? You are my..." I bit my lip to keep from revealing the truth. "I'm weak for you, lass," I admitted instead. If I told her she was my fated mate after everything she'd been through, I feared she'd have another anxiety attack.