Nine

Jace put his arm around Callie as they listened. Clary complain. Mike shook his head at her as Jace and Callie ignored her. "How stupid can you be?"

She heard Jace and them joking because Clary was rushing them to save Simon. Jace looked beside him at Callie as she was listening, but thinking of something. He knew she was very observant and that they will find Simon with her. "Clary, stop rushing them. Can't you see that Callie is thinking. Something she's always done before jumping."

She continued listening to them as she heard her sister. "Clary, you are one of the dumbest people ever. Did you not hear a damn word they just told you."

"I'm not leaving Simon's life in the hands of you. You already got enough attention." She says. "I'm sorry, but for once, I'm doing this on my own."

"What do you mean by I already got enough attention."

"You really don't see it?" Callie shook her head no. "From day one, Jace has always been by your side. He keeps holding your hand, putting his arm around you and has jumped to your defense before you can respond, which is not normal because you are very outspoken as it is." Clary says. "I hate that you get his attention and I can't. So for once, I'm doing this on my own. I'm saving my best friend."

Callie looked at Mike. "I'm getting attention?"

"Yep, you really are blind when it comes to that." Callie glared at him. "I'll let Izzy do the talking."

The blonde looked at Jace as he started telling them the plan. No one isn't stopping Clary as she wanted to act this rational. Callie listened to Jace explain the plan. He looked at Callie causing her to smile as he knew what they would need.
~~~
"Mary Milligan, born January 10th, 1802." Izzy reads. "Died, January 10th, 1878."

"All right, Alec, let's go." Jace says.

"What are we looking for, Jace?" Callie asked him.

"Cache of weapons." Izzy says.

"Okay, works for me."

Jace smiled as they started walking as Mike was trying to understand why there were weapons in a grave yard. Callie looked at him. "So our ancestors hid weapons in their graves?"

"We'll find it." He tells her. "Then we will find Simon."

"Don't forget that dreadful Clary."

"Once we're done, we will have their minds erased."

"Um...Callie?" She heard and looked at Mike. "You need to come here and look at this grave."

"Why do I have a feeling you found something?"

"Maybe she's your mother."

Callie looked at Jace before walking over to the grave causing him to follow her. She stopped seeing the name "Helen Callie Child."

"Callie? That's weird."

"She was my father's best friend." Jace tells her. "She was trying to help him before they both died. I didn't know she had a daughter though."

Callie looked at him as Izzy started leaving. "Where are you going?"

"To find the lair."

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do." Jace tells her causing Callie to laugh as Mike was a little upset.

"She's just doing her job, Mike."

"Okay."

"Jace...over here."

"Is everything that is happening my fault?" She asked Jace as they went to walk away from Helen's grave.

Jace placed both his hands on her face getting her to look at him. "What's happening is not your fault. You are learning the real you and your doing an amazing job." He says letting his one hand move her hair. "We are a team, Callie and I don't want to hear that this is your fault because it's not. It's Jocelyn's."

"Okay.'

"Coming."

'Are you going to be alright?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'll be fine."

Jace kissed her head before walking away. She looked at her best friend who hugged her. They found someone who may be her mother and that leaves questions.

"We're crossing vamp territory." Alec tells him.

"That's the point." Jace responds looking back at the girl he was falling for real fast and her best friend.

"Damn it, Jace, just...think this through." Alec says. "You don't even like this guy. This isn't about the mundane, or Clary,  or Mike, this is about Callie. What, are you so desperate to get laid that you'll risk killing us?"

"Wow, um, there's so much in that that was wrong, I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear it."

Alec grabbed Jace's arm. "That's the problem. You're not listening." He tells him. "Not to this or anything else I've said tonight. You don't even know this girl. Why do you trust her?"

"I trust Callie. I don't trust Clary because of who her father is." Jace says. "Alec, look at me. You can trust Calle, or not. I don't care. That's not my business. But if you don't trust me..."

"Jace! Alec! I believe I found it!" Callie called out as Mike stared at what she found. "Mary Milligan!"

Jace and Alec walked over to see Callie reading the tombstone. She looked at the boys to see the tension between them. "Beloved servant?" Mike questioned. "Who wants that on a headstone?"

"Someone who is in service to a cause greater than themselves." Callie says.

None of them said a word as they looked at the grave. "Now she is." Jace says.

Callie watched them start moving the grave. Mike looked at Callie as they saw a lot of weapons. "Nice." She says picking one up.

"Don't touch them. You don't know how to use it."

"At the Pandemonium, I killed that demon with something like this. Don't test me, Alec." She tells him.

"She's holding something that shouldn't be in her hands."

"Alec, I'm gonna show her the right way to use it." Jace tells him. "Do you see anything you want?"

Callie didn't looked at them as she walked a bit away to give them time to talk. When Alec walked away, Jace went to Callie. "Let's show you how to work this." He says. "Now, it knows you're a Shadowhunter, so it wants to respond." Callie couldn't believe how close he was to her. "But you have to be firm with it. Let it know who's boss."

"Okay." She says as he placed his hand on top of hers.

"There." He says moving her arm with his to show her how to move it. "You make it a part of yourself and it a part of you." Callie so badly wanted to kiss him with how close they were to each other. "Now, the blade never dims." She looked at him biting her lip as he continued to talk. "It's saying you belong together."

"How does it know?" She asked resting her head on his shoulder.

"Cause you're part angel, Callie...like all Shadowhunters."

Mike walked back to see them and groaned as he hated the tension he was getting from them. He walked back to Helen's grave wondering if this woman was actually Callie's mother.

Callie gasped as he did a stabbing motion with her. "You understand?"

"A little bit." She tells him as she rested against him again as she liked the feeling she was getting.

"You'll get there." He tells her. "It's not something you understand in your mind. It's something you know because it's pulsing through your body." Callie looked at him. "It's in your blood."

Jace moved away as he watched Callie. "Could I even do this without you?"

"You just did." Jace says smiling.

"Really? It felt as if you were still with me." She says looking at her sword than to Jace.

"I am." He tells her. "I will be." Jace clears his throat. "We...we will be...there for you."

Callie smiled. "Okay." She says. "Let's go save Clary and Simon."

Jace puts his arm around her as they walked back to the car to wait on Izzy. Mike saw them and looked back at the grave before going after his best friend and the boy she was falling fast for.