Chapter 10

I stood confused in the middle of a well-lit, encrypted, circular slab as the world around me reconstructed from the darkness I just came from. As I am trying to process the events that just happened, I looked around and I see nothing but a vast courtroom that is filled with an ivory glow and its residents sitting on the pews. The architecture is rustic and filled with elegant pieces, decorated with marble and silver.

I continued to inspect the courtroom as the familiarity is standing out to me from the recollection of my dreams. Except, there is no ethereal music, no welcoming glow, but murmur and hushed whispers from the celestial beings. I looked to see if there was another mirror, only to find there was only one exit and entrance in this chamber, decorated in foreign encryptions and tall arches.

With an annoyed sigh, I looked at my stained hands and the shackles that accents them, with the chains giving a slight clank of metal hitting against metal. "How the heck I got myself into this mess? I don't even know how I called myself by that name." As I mumbled, I shook my head. "I swear, if this is an episode of psychosis, I will start taking my medications. They must have one hell of an effect to make this quite believable."

A yelp escaped out of my mouth as I felt an electrifying jolt running through me while I tried to step out of the slab. "Nope, this is pretty much real!" My voice echoed, causing me to feel shame as I felt hundreds of eyes focused on me. I smelled the cloak that the being gave on a loan to me. Only for the smell to cause me to gag. It smelled like poor decisions and broken aspirations, just like my failed marriage.

I tried comforting myself as uncertainty grew within me as the voices from these celestial beings continued to gossip. I felt vulnerable. No amount of clothing can ever help me hide from their piercing, judgmental stares. I felt like a circus act.

As I closed my eyes, the whispering came to a hush as I heard metallic footsteps approach me slowly. Each step was heavy and calculated. I heard a blunt weapon hit the marbled floor that caused the chamber to echo and the footsteps paused. My breath became labored as I hesitated to see what it was.

Curiosity got the best of me as I slowly opened my eyes and looked up, only to see the axe in front of me with hands resting on top of the weapon. Hesitation took over me to look further, but the features of the sentinel in front of me hide in a decorated helmet that had seen better days. His horns were broken, but his armor was polished, as the sentinel gave an authoritative stance as he looked down on me while I stood there in silence.

I gave an audible gulp as my eyes darted, looking for an exit as I studied the audience of the courtroom. It was filled, but none showed their features, both winged and unwinged, different forms and sizes that the majority dwarfed my stature, just like the figure in front of me. After studying me, the sentinel stepped to the side. My neck hurt as I strained it because of his sheer size.

The giant, who is now standing next to me, let out a loud booming voice, rich in baritone and brass, causing me to jump out of my skin as he slammed the handle of the axe to the marble floor. "Your honor, I present you one of the fallen that had found her way back with help from one of our colleagues." He let his voice resonate across the courtroom. "She remembered her name, 'Mirandel', just before reaching through my many doors with no other memory or recollection of her past, let alone have any urgency to know the weight that her given name carries. She stands here, awaiting judgement."

I winced as I heard the word 'judgement'. Mandy and Death mentioned of a trial prior to coming here. As I looked around, I didn't know who the sentinel was talking to; only for my eyes to suddenly focus on a blue hooded figure sitting on a throne across from me, listening intently. My heart sank as I watched the judge unravel his fingers and lean forward as he studied me intently. I recognized his authoritative demeanor, the same one from the dreams that plagued me, except I still cannot see any of his features as they remain hidden.