Chapter 7 - Who Dey

Joe's POV
The football season has finally started and I have been deemed game ready by my athletic trainer. I'm so glad that I have Mia. She's the reason I'm playing in our first game against the Indianapolis Colts.

Right now we're in the locker room chanting the Bengals' theme to get ourselves pumped up for the game.

"Who Dey!" Ja'Marr shouts to start.

"Who Dey! Who Dey think gonna beat the Bengals! Who Dey! Who Dey think gonna beat the Bengals! Goooo Bengals!" We all shout at the same time.

When we finish the chant, we collect our things and leave the locker room. As we're walking towards the tunnel, I see Kara and Mia. I walk over to them and give each of them a hug.

"Hey, Kara, I didn't know you were going to be here." I say with a smile. Kara nods.

"Yeah. It's the first game of the season. I have to be here," she says. I laugh.

"That's fair. Are you gonna watch from the sidelines with your sister?"

"Definitely. It's going to be so cool. I've never been able to watch a game this close," Kara explains excitedly.

"Yeah. It is pretty cool. I like your jersey," I add, pointing to the jersey that she's wearing.

The jersey has my name and number on it. Kara laughs.

"Thanks. Mia got it for me yesterday,"

"Very nice. Did she get one too?" I ask, looking at Mia. Mia shakes her head.

"No. Sorry. I can't wear it to the games so it's not worth having. Plus, jerseys are expensive. I didn't really want to buy more than one,"

"That's fine. I'll see you later, okay? Make sure you cheer really loud for me," I say. Kara rolls her eyes.

"Of course we will. The Bengals are the best,"

"That's what I like to hear," I say, giving Kara a high five. I jog over to the team and walk through the tunnel with them.

As soon as we're out of the tunnel, we jog onto the field. I smile as I hear the sound of cheering fans. It's been way too long since I heard that sound.

I was a rookie last year and now it's my second year playing for the Bengals. I just hope my year isn't cut short again.

Mia's POV
I've only ever gone to one NFL football game my entire life. My family flew to Texas for a Dallas Cowboys game when I was Kara's age.

Now, Kara is seeing her first NFL football game and there are many more games to come. Sometimes I wish my parents were here to see me pursue my dream of being an NFL athletic trainer. I miss them and I'm sure Kara does too.

"This is so cool, Mia. You have the most amazing job ever. Can I come to all the games?" Kara asks. I laugh and shake my head.

"To all the home games maybe, but not the away games." I reply. Kara frowns.

"Why not the away games?"

"Because you have school and you might miss a day or two," I say.

"But, going to some of those games would be so cool. What about when you go to Florida? Warmer weather would be amazing when it's the middle of December in Cincinnati," Kara explains. I shrug.

"You make a good point. If we play Miami or Jacksonville during the colder months, I'll let you come with us to the games." I reply. Kara eyes me.

"Promise?" She asks, sticking out her pinky for me to link with her. I stick out my pinky finger and intertwine it with hers.

"I promise,"

*

I cheer with excitement as the game ends. The Bengals have won their first game of the season and none of the players got injured.

Joe runs towards me and throws his helmet to the ground. He then picks me up and gives me a big hug. I laugh as he sets me back down. For a moment, everything around me stops and it's just Joe and I.

We stare into each other's eyes for a little while until we finally snap out our trance thanks to my sister.

"Joe, that was awesome! You won the game!" Kara shouts. She pulls out her phone and holds it out to take a photo. "Smile for the camera, guys!"

Kara takes a photo of the three of us and shows us it.

"We look great. I'm definitely posting this on my Instagram page," my sister mutters as she starts typing a few things on her phone.

I look over at Joe and smile. I tossel his messy hair and wrinkle my nose.

"Your hair is so messy. And sweaty," I say. Joe shrugs.

"Of course it is. I was just running in a football game," he says with a laugh. Joe smells his jersey and looks at me. "You know, I can't tell. Do I smell bad?"

He grabs me and pulls me close to him. I laugh and push him away.

"Joe, that is so disgusting. Get away,"

"Yeah. That's gross, Joey." Ja'Marr says. He walks over with Sam and they both give me hugs. They're more sweaty than Joe is and I try to pull away from them.

"I knew I shouldn't have became a football athletic trainer! I forgot how gross you guys are!" I shout as they finally put me down.

"We're gross? That's just cold, Mia." Joe mutters, pulling me into another hug. I look at him and frown.

"I'm as cold as ice. Isn't that your thing, Joe Cool?" I ask. Joe laughs.

"How'd you hear about that nickname?" Joe mutters. I roll my eyes.

"It's all over social media. You really think that no one would know all your nicknames?"

"That's true. I've got a lot of them," Joe says.

The team starts walking back into the locker room. Kara and I wait outside until everyone is finished up.

Joe leaves the locker room first and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"You want to join the team for a celebratory drink?" Joe asks, looking at me. I frown.

"Where's Kara gonna go? I can't just leave her," I say. Kara rolls her eyes.

"Relax, Mia, I'm not a little kid. I'm fifteen years old. I can stay home by myself for a little while,"

"Well, I guess it would be okay. I can't stay out too late though," I reply. Joe cheers and Kara laughs.

"Joe, you're so weird." My sister mutters. Joe makes a face at Kara.

"You're weird," he says, sticking his tongue out at my sister. Kara sticks her tongue out in retaliation. I roll my eyes.

"You guys are such children,"

"Thanks, Mia." Joe says.

"Of course," I mutter. Joe looks at me and smiles.

"To answer your question earlier, Mia. Yes, I am as cold as ice, hence the name Joe Cool."

"You're something else, Joe Burrow." I say with a laugh. Joe nods.

"I know,"