Chapter 8 - In Love

Mia's POV
Joe tells me which bar to meet the team at and I drive there around eight o'clock. I told my sister to make sure she's in bed by ten if I'm not home by then.

I enter the bar and see that the whole Bengals team is already here. Joe notices me and walks over to me.

"Mia, you made it. I thought you weren't going to come," he says with a smile.

"I said I'd come so I came. I just came later than I should have, I guess." I explain. Joe shrugs.

"That's fine. As long as you're here, that's all that matters to me."

"Okay. I'm gonna go get a drink. Join me?" I ask. Joe nods.

"Sure. I'd love to,"

Joe's POV
Mia and I both get beers from the bar tender and we walk over to join the rest of the team. Ja'Marr, Sam, and Mike walk over to us and Ja'Marr and Sam each give Mia hugs.

"It's good to see you, Mia." Ja'Marr says. Sam nods.

"What he said," Sam adds with a smile. Mia laughs.

"It's good to see you guys too," she says.

I feel a twinge of jealousy in the pit of my stomach at seeing Mia hug Ja'Marr and Sam. I give them both warning looks and they both back off.

"Thanks for bringing our qb back, Mia. We really appreciate it," Mike says with a smile. Mia nods.

"Of course. It's my job to make you guys the best players that you can be,"

"Wow. That sounded like something I would hear in a commercial," Sam jokes with a laugh. Mia laughs.

"Yeah. It does,"

"Let's go sit together, Mia." I suggest. Mia shrugs.

"Sure. Let's go,"

Mia and I sit at the bar together and we sip our beers quietly for a moment. Mia then looks over at me.

"Ok. Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?" Mia asks. I shrug.

"Sure. Ask away,"

"Why do you bother with me?" Mia asks. I frown.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, after all I told you last week, why do you still want to be with me?" Mia explains. Her head is down and she won't look at me.

I look into Mia's bluish green eyes and I don't exactly know what to say to her. I've had mixed feeling for her for a little while now and I'm not exactly sure what they mean just yet.

"I... don't know. I guess I just don't think about your flaws. All I think about is you and how amazing you are," I explain. Mia's head shoots up and she looks at me.

"Really? You think I'm amazing?"

"Yes. You're amazing. You're beautiful and kind and smart. I love spending time with you," I explain. I grab Mia's hands and smile. "I love spending time with your sister too. Kara is like the little sister I never had,"

Mia smiles and she squeezes my hands. I love the feeling of Mia's hands in mine. Her hands are so soft and perfect.

"You know, you're pretty amazing too, Joe." Mia says. I smile.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're handsome and sweet. Oh, and you're smart too. I love spending time with you," Mia explains.

"Thanks. You wanna get out of here?" I ask. Mia looks at me and shrugs.

"Sure. As long as I'm with you, I don't care what we do."