Day 15. Nocturne

Ezra couldn't sleep.

It was his first day in the Wundrous Society. The only people he met were Elodie and Griselda Polaris.  But, as he managed to find out, there were several other children here who were taught everything that every Wundersmith should know and be able to do.

At that moment Ezra heard an incomprehensible sound coming from some room. He walked in that direction, trying not to make too much noise. He didn't want to be spotted. Ezra tiptoed to the door and looked inside. There stood a boy a little older than Ezra himself. He was wearing polka-dot pajamas, in which Ezra thought he looked rather comical. But Ezra managed to hold back his laughter.

The boy was humming a song to summon wunder, who was already gathering around him, ready to carry out the orders of Wundersmith. Ezra has already been explained how this trick works and its significance for Wundersmiths. But Ezra found it hard to call it singing. He would rather call it the death rattles of a dying person.

Ezra grimaced and couldn't stand it any longer.

"Could you at least try to hit the notes?"

The boy turned around abruptly, stopping singing. Wunder stopped hovering around him. He looked Ezra up and down with an appraising gaze.

"So you're the new Wundersmith?"

"Isn't it obvious?" - Ezra didn't like the way the boy was looking at him. Although, admittedly, Ezra was a little afraid of him, given that he was older and more-or rather much-more experienced in managing wunder than he was.

The boy ignored it and just grinned slightly. He seemed to like what he saw. This made Ezra even more uncomfortable.

"Let's assume I didn't hear your remark about my singing" - he slightly grimaced at these words, but then held out his hand. - "Owain Binks, by the way".

Ezra hesitantly returned the handshake.

"Ezra Squall".

"Well, Ezra Squall, I hope you like it here".