Day 22. Veil

Wolfram and Guntram stood in front of their father, looking down at their feet.

Corvus Crow has been scolding them for almost half an hour for just mentioning a name they saw in Portrait Hall. Morrigan Crow was on the sign.

The twins had never heard anyone in their family mention this name before. At least in public, as they suspected. But the twins were sure that they had heard it once after all, and it was clearly not uttered in a good-natured conversation.

"So that I don't hear you say something so inappropriate anymore" - Corvus said sternly.

"What's wrong with that name?" - Wolfram asked. Unlike Guntram, who was afraid to say a word to his father, Wolfram was ready to defend his point of view to the end. - "That girl was clearly part of our family, and we have a right to know who she is. If you won't tell us, we'll ask Grandma. She'll definitely tell us".

These words angered the Chancellor in earnest, given his face, which was flushed with rage at the moment. He wanted to scold the boy again, but at that moment the twins saw behind their father's back how the shadows parted by themselves and behind them was a girl, probably 19 or 20 years old.

The boys' eyes widened slightly and they wanted to scream, but the girl put her finger to her lips and shook her head slightly. The twins didn't immediately recognize her as the frowning girl in the portrait, but it was undoubtedly her.

The twins immediately changed their minds about saying anything. The girl, meanwhile, silently approached one of the porcelain vases standing near the wall, and as if accidentally touched one with her finger, winking and smiling slightly at the boys. The vase swayed and fell to the floor, shattering into pieces.

From this ringing and unexpected sound, the Corvus Crow jerked and turned sharply to the noise. The girl was no longer there, there were only fragments scattered on the floor. Corvus was looking around the scene, not understanding how the vase could have fallen. He seemed to have forgotten everything he wanted to say to the twins.

"Father, do ghosts exist?" - Guntram asked, exchanging glances with his brother. Both of them had grins on their faces.

Whoever that girl was, the twins felt that she would become a good friend to them. His father's pale face only reinforced this feeling.