Chapter Three

When Ayato awakened from his sleep, he found himself laying on a ragged, black leather sofa. The only light which illuminated the tenebrous room was the glow of the moonlight radiating through the French doors leading out to a small balcony where Kaneki was noticeably stood.

A scarlet-coloured blanket was placed on-top of Ayato, he pushed it off gently as he went to sit up. He rubbed the center of his forehead, suddenly having to tolerate the feeling of a throbbing head. Ayato's jaded eyes were fixed on Kaneki as he stood outside on the balcony doubtlessly unaware that Ayato was awake.

Ayato wanted to stand by Kaneki overlooking the city, but he felt feeble, like all of his recent thoughts were gradually consuming him. So instead, he slouches back against the surprisingly restful sofa, allowing himself to drift off.

Within minutes he recoils, alarmed by the abrupt sense of touch of a frigid hand placed on his shoulder. Ayato immediately meets with Kaneki eyes. Why does he make me feel like this? When he touches me with his gracile hands, it feels like I might just shatter. "K-Kaneki..." He stutters, his face flushed crimson with the overwhelming feeling of ardour and embarrassment.

Kaneki continues to gaze down at Ayato in amusement with a smirk spread across his face, probably because the tint of red on his cheeks was incredibly visible. "Sleeping again huh? You're going to muck up your night schedule." Kaneki's hand was still placed on Ayato's shoulder.

Ayato's first thought was: Again? So he must have somehow noticed I had awoken. However, he just shrugs. "I don't feel too great, I think I have a migraine or something..." He trails off as Kaneki's grin disappears from his face which now expresses concern as he places the back of his palm against Ayato's forehead. Ayato flushes even more, he could immediately feel his cheeks warming up.

"Hmm..." Kaneki removes his palm from Ayato's head, surveying him for a moment. "I won't deny that you do seem to have a fever, looks like I'll have to nurse you for the meantime." And that's when his prominent grin reappears on his desirable face.

Fuck. Was all Ayato could think.