Chapter Eight

Ayato awakens from his sleep finding Kaneki laying beside him. His empty stomach growls, it's been three weeks since Ayato had his last proper meal and he was willing to go out and finally seek some flesh.

Previously, it had been Kaneki whom would do the searching as Ayato had been lacking stimulation to do so. However, being aware of their growing bond, it felt as if Kaneki was gradually granting back Ayato's motivation. He loved Kaneki and he was aware of it; each time Kaneki touched him, he feared he may disintegrate nothing. Absolutely, doubtlessly, nothing.

He quietly removes himself from bed, careful to not awaken Kaneki. As he gets up, he undresses then flinging aside his old clothing. Ayato climbs into a pair of tight, black trousers, a hooded, black leather jacket and a pair of knee-high black boots. He seizes hold of his black mask, designed with spires. Before exiting the room, he takes one final glance back at the somnolent Kaneki; his layered, white hair smeared across his melancholy, angelic face as he rests. I've never loved something that's so beautiful causing me to feel so desirous about sparing more time just to look.

~ Part Two ~

He positions his mask on his face, ensuring that it's partly concealed if any investigator from the CCG organization identifies him. The weather was rather breezy, raindrops were darting from the murky clouds. But this weather didn't bother Ayato, he actually found weather like this rather tranquil. He relished moments like these: silently strolling through the lively streets of Tokyo in the downpour, I guess it just relieves some of my worries.

Ayato's nostrils flare at the redolent smell of fresh blood. His pace fastens as he enters a dreary alleyway, where dingy-looking buildings tower over him. His stride eases as he finally approaches the lithe body. He kneels beside the body, Saliva hanging from the ends of his mouth. As he turns the body to identify whom the wounded stranger is, he quickly notices short, purple strands of hair emerging from the hood of an olive green jacket. Then as he peers down at the youthful-looking face whom stares blankly at him, he recognizes the girl.

"T-Touka...?!" He sobs, ignoring his growling stomach and wiping away the saliva.

Her eyelids flutter as her lips curl up into a smile, "Ayato," She splutters, "I-I came back. It's Kaneki, h-he's hiding s-something..." Tears cascade down her cheeks, "I l-love you a-and I don't want you to get h-hurt..."

None of this is making sense, what's happening?! Ayato's grasp on his sisters arms tighten, "What do you mean, Touka? What is he hiding? Who did this to you?!" He exclaims, disregarding the teardrops falling from his cheeks onto Touka's.

She grips onto his arm, supporting herself as she tries to become within reach of his ear to whisper. Until suddenly, Her grasp on his arm loosens and she gently falls back into place in his arms.

"Touka! Why are you doing this to me?! Answer me, don't die! Oh god no, please don't die, please, please, please, please, please!..." His voice gradually quietens, he buries his head into his sisters chest breathing in her habitual scent as he dampens her top with the liquid running from his eyes. Despite how much she'd hurt him when she announced she was leaving, he always loved her, it was always his duty to protect her. This time, he failed his father's request.