xi. chapel hill fashion week

XI. CHAPEL HILL FASHION WEEK

"okay, go, go, go, go!" sarah urged john b and briar off the ferry

"come on," john b held out a hand helping the girls up. a man continued to chase them shouting in chinese.

"对不起," briar yelled back in perfect mandarin.

"where'd you learn that?" john b yelled as they ran.

"middle school!" briar answered. "best class i've ever taken!" she laughed as john b grabbed her hand and tugged her along.

"excuse me!" sarah apologized as they ran down the dock.

"coming in hot!" john b yelled.

"so sorry!" briar laughed. "terribly sorry."

"sorry," john b yelled again. the three teens made it off the dock, laughing hysterically. "here's your shoe, sarah cameron."

"thanks," sarah laughed as she look it from his hand. "whew! whew. oh, my god. we're disgusting."

"what?" john b asked.

"look at the sweatstains!" briar held her arm up. "i'm gonna throw up, we smell awful."

"we will not get into the archives looking — or smelling — like this," sarah informed them.

"why not?" john b asked. briar shook her head.

"i promise you, they will not let us in looking like we crawled out of a swamp," sarah confirmed.

"okay, fine," john b shrugged.

the kids ran around the city, removing the sticky yellow jackets and laughing. john b hoisted briar up onto his back and ran into a fountain in a park. they were without a care in the world.

"ooh, boujee," briar commented as sarah approached ben silver with the couple trailing her. "this is where chase and ward buy things."

"let's go shopping here," sarah decided.

"absolutely not," john b said after one look in the window.

"woah, sancho," sarah said. "i think we've arrived." briar followed sarah with a chuckle and john b dragged his feet behind them.

"sarah, briar, i don't think y'all understand. this is like an organ with the wrong blood type. it doesn't work," john b explained as the girls continued to walk ahead of him.