Chapter 2

1. I'm going to be the cafe owner?

I put flowers on Dad's grave.

Weeds were overgrown near the tombstone because I hadn't visited it for the past year.

"It looks like Dad's face without a shave."

I laughed and murmured.

Expressing my apologetic feelings in a joke like this was our father and daughter's way of communicating.

'You should be an office worker, not a hunter.'

Dad would joke about how sorry he was when he got home late because of Dungeon Raid.

He made a joke about what Hunter couldn't do.

But every time I heard that I thought to myself:

A Hunter is a hundred times better than an office worker. My Dad, who saves people, is the coolest.

I'm proud that the S-Class Hunter who appears on TV every day is my Dad.

At least, that was until Dad passed away.

It wasn't until Dad passed away that I realized it.

How sincere Dad was when he told me to work as an office worker instead of being a Hunter.

The year I turned 12, Dad entered an S-Class dungeon and never came back.

It was 13 years ago now.

It was only seven years since the so-called catastrophe.

Catastrophe.

It refers to the day when monsters come out of cracks in dimensions that have opened up all over the world.

People were shocked by how powerful monsters were when they overpowered humans, and some said that the day of judgment had come and humanity would go extinct.

But that didn't happen.

It was thanks to the Hunters.

After gaining transcendental power through 'awakening,' they gradually returned the world to its original place.

Naturally, the world was enthusiastic about the Awakening or Hunters.

There is a saying now that being a stable civil servant is better than being an E-class hunter, but that wasn't the case back then. At that time, Hunter was not a job but a hero.

And Dad was such a Hunter.

He's not just a Hunter, but an S-Class Hunter.

Even now, when more people are awakened, and Hunters become one of the professions, S-Class Hunters have more power than celebrities and make more money than most small and medium-sized businesses.

Of course, it was more then.

Dad, who was one of only 5 S-Class Hunters in Korea at the time, was no different from a hero to me, no, to the entire nation.

It was unimaginable that such a father would never come back.

That's why I kept asking my Dad's colleagues who were helping with his funeral at the time.

When will my Dad come back?

'Your father... Hik... He can't come back now. Junghyo-ya... I'm sorry... I'm really sorry... Hiks..."

Looking back at it now, Dad's colleagues must have been in trouble.

Because I asked him several times a day when Dad would be back.