14. Lying to Yibo !

Chapter 14

: Lying to Yibo :

"I hope you didn't cook yet." Zhan tried to feign like everything was okay. He didn't want Yibo knowing what had happened earlier that day.

"I didn't." Yibo grinned into the receiver of the phone. "Although I am going to miss my gorgeous boyfriend being in my arms tonight, I'm glad you and Yanli are having a sleepover. You both mean a lot to me. Knowing that you're rebuilding a friendship means a lot."

"I agree." Zhan glanced over at Yanli, who was looking at Zhan expectantly. "She's my best friend too, Yibo."

"Really?" Yibo chuckled lightly in a relieved tone. "I see how it is? Once again you two are leaving me out."

"You're my lover." Zhan teased playfully, going along with his façade. "That tops best friend."

"I wish I was your lover." Yibo placed the pasta back into the cabinet as he imagined taking that next step with Zhan. "Mom and I are exhausted anyway. It was more difficult than I thought going through that stuff. Memories and all."

"I understand." Zhan breathed out nervously wondering if Yibo could tell Zhan was telling half-truth.

"Are you okay?" And there it was. "You seem a little different."

"I just miss you, that's all. But I think Yanli and I need it tonight." Zhan bit his lip to stop the quivering. It hurt biting down but it was his habit. He wanted so badly to be in Yibo's protective arms. "I'm glad you understand."

"You don't need to have my approval, ZhanZhan. But I am glad you and Yanli are working on the friendship. Besides, I can whine later that you and she didn't involve me like I used to do." Yibo chuckled as he settled on the counter stool. "I miss my boyfriend."

"I miss you too." Zhan hung up the phone after telling him goodbye. He started to settle on the bed but laughed when he saw Yibo had called right back. "Hello. Did you forget something?"

"Yeah." Zhan could hear Yibo swallow over the phone. "I love you. I forgot to tell you...I love you."

Zhan's breath hitched in his throat. He would have preferred the first time hearing those words from him was face to face. But Zhan needed those words said more than anything tonight. It was as if Yibo knew that.

They had been secretly seeing each other for a couple of months. Soccer season had passed, fall had turned into winter, life had gone by like a whirlwind. Zhan was sure that growing up together aided in the feelings both had been experiencing. Somehow in the first weeks of Yibo coming back, emotions went into overdrive. The physical attraction had pulled both of them into a relationship quickly. However, emotions of the pain both had faced six years ago caused feelings of uncertainty as well as a bond none of the three could explain. The caring for one another soon changed to love. A deep rooted love that caused both to feel like they were caught up in a tempest of emotion. However, both were more than willing to ride out the storm. They figured something beautiful was bound to appear after the storm calmed.

"I love you too." Zhan whispered trying to conjure up enough bravado not to break down. He hung up the phone.

"Did he buy it?" Yanli asked as she held a pillow on her lap. She squeezed it tightly to her. "Yibo can be very perceptive."

"I think so." Zhan walked over and sat by Yanli. "Thanks for being here for me."

"I meant what I said. You're my best friend." Yanli sighed out as she watched Zhan settle on the couch. "Yibo and you are my best friends and always will be."