9

✧‿*:✧9✧:*‿✧

For nights Aé'teya couldn't sleep, her eyes wandered outside the pod at the dark ocean

For nights Aé'teya couldn't sleep, her eyes wandered outside the pod at the dark ocean. Nights have been haunting her. It was a shame since nighttime was her favourite time of all but now turned into her least favourite time.

Nightmares follow her every night. She woke up in the middle of the night, panting silently not to wake any of her family up.

Nightmares of the day Quaritch had her and her siblings under his knife. Sometimes she felt it so real that she would even cry waking up without realising.

Now she is always the last one to wake up. Always being called lazy for waking up late and missing breakfast by Lo'ak. Neteyam was nice enough to bring her some food to the pod in case she woke up hungry.

He has been noticing the look she's been giving every time they walk past a group of Metkayina teens. As if she was scared...or annoyed. And it had left him more curious and confused but he won't ask her any questions knowing she would never answer them.

"How are you the earliest one to go to sleep but the last one to wake up?" Lo'ak asked, his tone annoying his older sister. "Come on, let's go swimming," he invites the girl.

Aé'teya grumbles as she stood up, she was stopped by Tuk who ran to her and pulled her arms. "You promised me we'd collect seashells together!"

Aé'teya's eyes squinted, trying to remember if she had promised Tuk, she in fact did promise to collect seashells to make bracelets together with Tsireya, "Okay, Tuk. You go have fun, Lo'ak."

Lo'ak shrugged, "Suit yourself,"

•••

"Hey, Tuk! I think this one is really pretty to make a bracelet, don't you think?" Aé'teya smiled, showing the seashell she picked up to show Tuk.

Tuk's face grimaced, "Pretty ugly. Your bracelet would look ugly with that."

Those words had left Aé'teya's mouth wide open in the offence. She scoffed, throwing the shell back in the water before she dive to find more.

Apparently, Tuk had collected many pretty ones but always cringe at every one Aé'teya collected. "They're not that bad! You're just jealous." Aé'teya argued.

"Let's see who Kiri thinks is the prettiest," Tuk retorted.

"Why isn't she with us anyway?" Aé'teya asked. Tuk shrugged, and continue to look down at the water to find more shells.

Tsireya swam up to them, her hands showing them many pearls she had collected. "We could use this! It'll look even prettier with pearls!"

After collecting seashells and pearls, the girls decided to sit next to the shore on the sand. Tsireya was showing them how to make bracelets.

Tuk was struggling a bit as she didn't know how, sometimes she would peek to see Aé'teya's bracelet and follow her.

"Tadaaa!" Aé'teya celebrated, holding her hand up with the bracelet tied around it.

"I don't like the colour but it look nice on you. Not prettier than mine though," Tuk commented. Aé'teya sneered at her little sister's judgement and Tsireya let out a laugh.

That night, Tsireya took them swimming at the bottom of the sea along with more people including the Tsahìk to harvest an underwater plant.

Tsireya introduced and gave Tuk a colourful jellyfish that was called Gill Mantle. "They will allow you to breathe underwater," She signs to them.

They were all wearing them since they needed them for diving deep down. While the others were harvesting, Kiri and Aé'teya were off alone to explore.

Kiri began to swing her arm and the glowing squid follows every movement of her arms, dancing in the sea. Their eyes reflected the lights from the squid with amusement.

It was like how she used to do with insects back in the forest to entertain themselves. Aé'teya especially was entertained watching it. She clapped, beaming as she watches in awe.

Suddenly she felt like a kid again, smiling as Kiri does her little magic. They both feeling reconnect and bonded with each other after years of feeling distant from one another.