Chapter 2

Blurry images swam through Sophie's vision. Dark figures loomed over her body, their tones unfriendly.

"Kill the Moonlark", one suggested. "Then she can't foil our plans."

"No, hold her hostage", another argued.

"I say we let her go with false knowledge and then let her blab to her precious Council, then we can take them all in one go."

"That's the dumbest thing I ever heard", someone drawled. "We–"

"Quiet!"

The new voice sent chills down Sophie's spine. She knew that voice. Lady Gisela, she recognized with dread.

"Leave her alone", hissed Lady Gisela. "Later we will question her. She will not be awake in a few hours. The Vacker boy has made sure of that."

Shuffling footsteps sounded from across the room, along with the faint creaking of the door. Sophie kept her eyes tightly shut until she was sure that everybody had left.

Badum. Badum. Badum.

Silence was all she heard.

Badum. Badum. Badum.

What had happened?

Don't be afraid.

It's okay.

Just breathe.

Breathe.

Breathe.

Breathe...

Foster! Keefe shouted. Foster! Are you there? Tell me, please tell me you are... I can't bear another minute without you. Grady and Edaline are freaking out.

No, it couldn't be. But it wouldn't hurt to take a chance... would it?

Keefe, Sophie murmured. Are you a hallucination?

Foster! Keefe sounded overjoyed, his voice thinly masked with relief. Where are you? What did Fitz do?

Sophie paused for a second, the recent events sinking in. Fitz had drugged her. Why? She started to shake uncontrollably, her connection with Keefe going fuzzy.

Foster? Hey, Foster! Foster, stay with me. Focus on your good memories. You can't lose the connection, Keefe pleaded.

Sophie inhaled and nodded, struggling to keep her emotions under control. Keefe, I don't know what's happening. The Neverseen has me, and Fitz drugged me. Sophie's voice cracked on her ex-boyfriend's name.

Keefe emitted a string of colorful words. When I find him, I'll kill him!

What do you mean, once you find him? Sophie asked, pulling out an eyelash in anxiety.

He teleported away with you, Keefe growled.

Sophie flicked the eyelash away. What?

You heard me right, Keefe replied. As soon as he got you, he teleported away with you. That... that coward! Then his tone softened. Foster, we will find you. I promise. Stay strong, okay?

Sophie swallowed, biting her lip. I'm scared, Keefe.

Foster. Keefe's voice was gentle. Don't be afraid. I will always be here for you. Saving you right now is my top priority.

Sophie smiled weakly. It's just... reassuring that you're here. Also, I'm pretty sure the Neverseen are recording my thoughts, so I won't be able to contact you anymore.

Keefe sighed, and Sophie could just picture him squeezing her hand. Foster, I– I don't have enough words for this. I... Keefe trailed off. I love you.

Sophie's eyes widened, her heart racing. Really?

Yes, Foster. I love you. Will you be my girlfriend?

Tears welled up in Sophie's eyes. "Keefe", she whispered out aloud. "Keefe, I love you too. I've been waiting so long for this."

Hey, Foster? What do you say? Keefe sounded anxious.

Yes! Sophie burst out. Yes, I'll be your girlfriend!