Chapter 6

"Honey?"

The first thing Sophie saw when she awoke was Grady and Edaline's face. Edaline let out a sigh of relief, and her expression relaxed. "Oh, thank goodness!"

"You've been in a coma for two weeks", Grady told her, leaning in front of her. His eyes were bloodshot and his hair looked like it hadn't been combed or washed in days.

"We thought you weren't going to wake up", Edaline said, smiling at Sophie. "But thank goodness you're okay." She, too, looked just as tired and disheveled as Grady. Her usual pretty, wavy amber hair was messy and tangled. Her pale, unblemished skin had developed crinkles, and her turquoise eyes were red and puffy.

"Wh– what happened?" Sophie asked, struggling to get up.

"No, Sophie. You need to rest", Grady murmured, pushing her down.

"But I slept for two weeks! You said so", Sophie protested, her limbs flailing. "I don't need to rest now."

"Sophie. Listen to us." Grady's voice was unusually sharp. Sophie looked up at him. "Sophie, the world is safe now. You have time to rest– finally. You can't waste your time."

"But I'm not wasting my–"

Edaline cut her off, her turquoise eyes shining with worry. "Sophie, I really don't know what's happening to you. I know you're hurting because Keefe died, but–"

"Don't talk about it!" Sophie exploded, fresh tears streaming down her face. "He died because of me. I should have died. Not him."

Edaline swallowed, looking as if she were going to cry herself. "Honey. You must try to get over it."

"Yes, listen to your mother", Grady chimed in. "Find another boy."

"And give Fitz a chance", Edaline added.

"Fitz?" Sophie spat out, looking up at her parents incredulously. "Why him? He's the whole reason why Keefe isn't here with me!"

"I– I didn't mean it", a small, timid voice mumbled from the doorway. "A Mesmer used his Ability on me."

Sophie gasped as Fitz appeared in the doorway, his head hung in shame. How does he even show his face in public after what he's done? "But you were in control part of the time, right?" she accused, whirling towards him. "You killed Keefe!" Sophie's voice cracked in pain. "He was the only one I really loved."

Fitz backed away, his face contorting with hurt. "I'm sorry. Like I said, a Mesmer–"

"Your pathetic excuses won't bring him back", Sophie snapped, turning away from Fitz. "Just leave. I can't even bring myself to look at you."

Fitz didn't budge. Instead, he stared up at Sophie with determination in his teal eyes. "No, Sophie. I promise I'll do better this time. Please... just give me a chance, okay? Just one more time."

Sophie narrowed her eyes. "No. After what you've done... no. Even Dex would be better."

"But I thought you didn't like Dex romantically!" Fitz exclaimed, confusion evident in his expression.

"I don't", Sophie answered, leveling an icy glare at her former lover. "But at least he's better than you."

Hurt flared in Fitz's eyes. "Please, Sophie", he pleaded, his desperation clear. "I know I was too overpossessive, but–"

Sophie whirled around, her eyes narrowed. "One more time", she repeated. "One more time."