[Semi-Rant] *Sighs in Exhaustion*

A/N: I was originally going to put this in my FNF book since that was the main focus, but the fandom already has too much negativity and plus I think this needs to be applied to every fandom.

—————

Whew, oh man. This one's about to be a bit longer than normal, bare with me.

Let me just start off by saying that I don't care if you like or dislike an AU version of a canon character. I have several AU versions of characters I adore with all my heart, but I understand if or why someone doesn't feel the same way!

But like, can people stop aggressively speaking about their extreme hatred of AU versions of canon characters for 5 minutes just because they don't fully match up with their original counterparts??? I don't mean like "I would drop kick this character, they're so annoying lol" hatred, cause I tend to do that sometimes, I mean people who take their hatred for AU characters way too seriously to the point where I'm like, "calm down, it's just an AU." Fr, I'm tired of seeing extreme hatred for Benjamin (Soft Boyfriend) and Shaya (B3 Girlfriend) on Twitter and Reddit, and I did not ask to see a post of someone complaining that almost all FNF AU mod versions of Pico are trash, the people who wrote them are awful human beings who have no respect for canon Pico, and are intentionally responsible for any form of mischaracterization of Pico, like...what??? Bonus points for saying that anyone who disagreed with their opinions should die.

I think folks need to take a step back and realize that AUs are not connected to canon universe content, and that while disliking/hating an AU version of a character for whatever reason or critiquing them or pointing out their flaws is valid, saying that either a. Their characterization is a slap in the face to their original counterpart (and maybe in some cases it is, but that's not the main point) or b. people who created them or simply like/love them have no taste, need to remember that AUs don't need to be 100% accurate to canon lore because they're supposed to be fun little experimental "what if" scenarios that are divergent from their base storyline.

If inconsistent character writing and flanderization is an issue for both canon and AU characters, then I'm fine with (respectfully) discussing that and recommending some official canon sources to help someone write a character somewhat close to canon. Just don't make people feel like shit for doing something different with characters for their AUs. I really don't think that's gonna help them improve their writing skills and it may just drive them away from fandoms.