Chapter 12.5: a mask of lies

Meanwhile, Xiao sat alone with Venti under the tree. The other two had disappeared and Xiao knew exactly why. For the next few days, they would remain separated.

He sat discontentedly away from the Archon, whom he would probably protect with his life in the next few days. He did not even know why, but it was demanded of him, so he would obey.

His counterpart seemed to behave as usual and was happy to have his company. Since Xiao wasn't looking at him, Venti sent light gusts of wind in his direction several times to get the yaksha's attention.

But Xiao unconsciously ignored them. He was still not good with communication and that's why he kept quiet and sat a few meters away. Venti, however, was having fun teasing him.

He was also aware by now that the Adepti preferred to stay alone, but the boy would not accept this. Like a little child, he enjoyed messing with his counterpart. However, since his previous attempts had not worked, he had to try harder.

Behind Xiao lay his spear, ready at hand and sharp as ever. Venti concentrated and suddenly a fierce wind sent the spear flying far into the air. Xiao looked up in confusion, but the spear flew barely 5 meters in the air.

The Archon now took his chance and flew up, grabbed the spear, and landed next to Xiao.

When the Yaksha saw this, he looked puzzled but decided to retrieve his spear. Though just at that moment, Venti ran away laughing,

"H-hey." Xiao said confusedly and stood still for a moment. Then he ran after the other.

Venti giggled happily and ran into the sunlit fields. Green grass blew beneath him and the clear midday sun shone on the two of them. From far away, the sound of the sea could be heard and the sky was so blue and clear.

Nature was amazingly empty and only single animals ran anxiously through the grass. Birds passed through the clear sky and glided on the warm summer wind.

Xiao had trouble running in his tight clothes and again he cursed them. Venti ran laughing like a little child, though it wasn't long before Xiao caught up with him.

Venti pulled him close and threw the spear away. Surprised by the sudden closeness, Xiao breathed shallowly. Their bodies were almost touching now and Xiao looked at him, startled,

"So~" Venti said then and Xiao swallowed.

"Let's go! I'll show you Mondstadt. We can go to the sea, I'll show you the whole city, the people, the animals, let's do stupid things. Tell me how Liyue has changed! Oh, we can see Dvalin too. Can you cook? I know a great restaurant. Oh, or we can go for a drink?

Fun story, but I'm very good friends with the local winery owner. In fact, we absolutely are more than best friends. Hey, or go out to an island..."

Venti couldn't stop raving about Mondstadt, so Xiao just sighed and nodded.

These days would probably be the longest of his life.