Chapter 8.5: a present

Xiao's heart stopped for a few moments. He looked at the Archon. At that moment, the yaksha felt valuable for the first time. Not because he had done anything great.

No, this boy simply made him feel like he was enough. Without reason. Without anything in return.

For a moment, Xiao forgot who they both were. They were just two beings here on the beach. That, and so much more. Just Xiao and Venti. Nothing more, nothing less.

A new feeling spread through the yaksha. He could not name it, as he had never felt anything like it before. He wanted to stay here. Not on the beach, not by the sea. Only with Venti.

That was all he wanted at that moment. The boy was to take his heart, his whole life. That was probably all he could give him. He couldn't help feeling this way.

He couldn't hide it from himself. But he knew that this strange desire for closeness would be impossible.

He had built heavy walls around his heart for centuries, and he would not tear them down. Never. They shouldn't even crumble.

He swallowed his thoughts and decided that the stars could not be rewritten.

Sadly.

"Hey Xiao!" said Venti cheerfully, waving at him. Xiao had arrived within a second next to Venti, who flinched back in fright. Xiao looked at him confused.

Of course, he had not expected the boy to have the same strange feeling toward him, but he now saw fear in the Archon's eyes. "ehe" said Venti in feigned cheerfulness, but Xiao heard the trembling in his voice.

"What's wrong?" he asked dully, "W-what?" Venti went on. Xiao looked at him and then pointed at Venti's hands,

"You're shaking."

Venti quickly hid his hands and looked away. It was silent for a while, with Venti still not looking at him.

"Hey." Venti winced, "We should go back." Murmured Xiao. Though he didn't want to, it was probably best for the Archon.

The latter didn't say anything. Three minutes passed and now Xiao heard soft sobs. Overwhelmed, he put a hand on Venti's shoulder.

"Don't."

Venti only said and Xiao pulled his hand away with supernatural speed.

"I don't want to hurt you."

Venti sniffed. Xiao didn't understand. "Hurt me?" Venti remained silent for a while, "Like yesterday." Xiao's eyes widened.

He was the monster here, not this boy.

He put both hands on Venti's shoulders and squeezed them tightly. "Listen, you didn't do anything bad to me. Understand?" he said sternly.

The archon looked at him with red eyes. "B-BUT, BUT THE KISS?!"

Xiao's face suddenly felt hot.

Of course, Venti was right about that, but...

"It wasn't bad." He said, with Venti now looking at him in slight amusement, "I-I mean, I didn't feel ...uhhhmm... hurt."

Venti wiped the tears from his eyes and then sniffled an okay.

"I... Uhm...am honestly very grateful to you." Murmured Xiao shyly and Venti looked at him in surprise.

"You probably don't remember, but after the archon war, you saved my life," Xiao said directly.

Venti remained silent. There was no sign in his gaze that he was going to answer. He just smiled and held out the flute to Xiao,

"Then, keep it if you want."