Chapter 23: The wind-bloom-festival

The morning was clear and bright. The sky was as blue as the sea and the few clouds were snow-white. The warm sunlight gently shone on the young yaksha.

Xiao looked around greeted by the morning sun and realized surprised that Venti was nowhere around. The other two Archons had taken the day off and were walking around the decorated city with their protectors and friends.

Everywhere, gentle winds blew white blossoms through the air dancing in the breeze like lovers. The air was filled with the smell of fresh honey bread and Cecilia.

Even now in the morning, people were playing, dancing, singing, eating, and laughing at every corner. The town was as excited as a small child. Younger children ran through the streets while their parents ran exhaustedly behind.

It was so beautifully quiet and peaceful, yet joyful and free. Ganyu came running up to Xiao in her hands she was happily holding two small plates. Xiao recognized the dish immediately.

"Almond Tofu." Beamed Ganyu, she handed Xiao a plate and was about to leave, but then added "Zhongli told me to tell you that Barbatos is in the forest right now."

She saw several children with huge cotton candy and followed them without a second thought. The yaksha had to smile, as funny as this looked.

He headed off towards the forest, eating his Almond Tofu along the way.

After about half an hour, he arrived under dense green trees. The forest looked as beautiful as one imagined in fairy tales.

Green fresh grass, small birds, sunlight shining through the dense canopy, and a gentle wind that Xiao followed. He continued to follow the gust, which was now also accompanied by soft lyre music.

Delicate bright tones tickled the peaceful silence of the forest. The yaksha arrived at a clearing, where surrounded by small animals, the anemo Archon sat.

He wore his usual moss-green clothes and hummed along with the song. Xiao blinked several times in amazement.

He had found the one for him. He found a boy, free and beautiful , though he never thought he would be the one to whom his heart would belong. In his eyes, he held Xiaos.

This boy was stronger than any other, smarter, nicer. Xiao knew that this time everything would go well. For in Venti's eyes, he saw both his past and now even his future.

He looked so impressive sitting there free from everyone else surrounded by the beauty of nature. Xiao momentarily forgot to breathe when he saw Venti like this.

The latter arrived gently flown over by the wind in front of him. "Xiao!" he beamed. Xiao couldn't help it; he brushed Venti's hair out of his face and kissed him gently.

Venti returned the kiss with a smile. "Xiao...Xiao that tickles. Come on...HAHAHA," Venti giggled in amusement as Xiao stroked his cheek.

A group of rabbits came hobbling up with interest but quickly ran away as Xiao threw him and Venti on the floor, making them lie together in the grass.

"Hey Venti... "mumbled Xiao. "Huh?", Xiao bent down on his elbows and nudged the other on the nose, "Did I ever tell you how beautiful your music is?"

Venti chuckled, "No, never." Xiao looked at him sheepishly, "Well now you know..." Venti returned the gaze challengingly, "Say it!" Xiao's head shot up, "You never said it, so say it." he challenged Xiao for an answer. Xios's heart fluttered.

"Well...uhm...your tunes are...ugh forget it...." He broke off.

"No. Say it!" insisted Venti, smiling. Xiao threw his hands up in defeat, then said, "They're beautiful. More than that, they are out of this world. So enchanting that no other music could compare to it. It's like the feeling you get after Almond Tofu, only it doesn't go away and stays longer."

Venti looked at him in amazement and then laughed joyfully while Xiao's head turned as red as a tomato, and he looked away.

The day passed far too quickly as the two lovers had spent it together in the forest.  They had simply turned off the rest of the world and had silly conversations.

Those wonderful dumb conversations, which were so beautiful though. Meanwhile, the night had fallen. In the past days there had been beautiful nights, but none came close to this clear sea of stars.

The sky's white dots shone brightly and powerfully, while the half-moon stood elegantly in the sky. All of Mondstadt eagerly awaited the coming fireworks display, which would begin in only a few minutes.

Zhongli, Ganyu, and Xiao sat together leaning on the huge city wall against the thick stone railing. Venti sat next to Xiao and the two held hands secretly.

Next to Venti sat Nahida and Cyno, while Ei and Miko sat vertically next to them. In front of the eight figures was a huge cloth spread out on which were various drinks and food.

They had the best seat, directly above the city gate. While most of Mondstadt had gathered on the two large squares, with only a few others also waiting on the city wall.

It was dead silent until suddenly a loud pssssstttt sound was heard and a bright beam of light shot up into the sky and exploded there.

More colorful explosions followed. The small lights shot over 20 meters into the air and dissolved into many colorful beams. Lights lit up and went out again and again. One explosion followed another and colors of the whole rainbow lit up the night sky.

It was a beautiful spectacle. The colorful lights of the fireworks shone in everyone's eyes. The beautiful explosions also had all kinds of shapes. Xiao would have had a hard time describing this image. It was loud but impressive.

He gazed up at the sky when he suddenly felt Venti squeeze his hand tighter than before. Confused, he turned to him and Venti whispered in his ear. "Let's go, I have something to tell you."

With a raised eyebrow, Xiao wanted to know if Venti meant right away but the ladder nodded.

Xiao ran after Venti, onto a meadow in front of the city gate. The fireworks were still glowing above them and they had a great view even from here.

"So, what's going on?" asked Xiao. Venti continued to look at him. He was silent for quite a while.

"Someone must have said these words once before, but it's a beautiful night and that means you should say something stupid. It does not matter anyway. I'm not perfect, not honest, and probably way too selfish."

"I lied to you in the beginning and almost killed you, I put you in danger without helping you, and all the problems you had to suffer are my fault. I'm asking the impossible of you because I'm selfish once again, but..."

Xiao stepped closer to him and held his hand, "Please Xiao, stay with me. At least for a while longer. I'll talk to Morax and-" Xiao kissed Venti on the mouth.

The bard looked at him in acted angriness "Hey, I'm serious." grumbled Venti.

"I'll stay. I talked to Rex Lapis before and he said it's a good idea for the both of us."

Venti looked at him speechlessly and said nothing. Then he smiled broadly and threw himself on Xiao "Thank you, thank you, thank you, Xiao. Thank you so much." Xiao put his hand on Venti's head and whispered softly:

"I love you."

The archon snuggled up to his body and hugged Xiao tightly.

"I love you too." Venti murmured.

How strange that love often seems so small and insignificant, while it can often change a world. For the better or the worse. Sometimes it feels gone, forgotten, lost somewhere. When it falls down while no one can hear it.

And then the world crashes down on you. But trust me when you're broken and on the ground, you will be found. By a love that comes in the strangest forms. In ways, you don't expect. I don't know if there's maybe a reason for that.

And if not, then wait. Wait for that love to come. It's so easy to feel alone, but if you look around for a while, if you can bear to survive in that loneliness, then that love will find you. And no matter where you are, it will save you.

Hold out your hand and eventually, someone will come and even if it's yourself, you will find that love. And it will find you.

~ the end ~