The Wrong Foot

My alarm goes off on my phone, which sat in my hand the entire time. I tap the power button to illuminate the screen. 10 AM and 6% charge. Fuck.

The beat of Lady Gaga's "Applause" pulses in one of my ears, thanks to only having one earbud in since the other disappeared to God knows where. I groaned as I take out my earbud and toss it onto the bed.

As I brew my coffee, I strip off my clothes that I was too tired to take off the previous night and pull on my worn bathrobe before grabbing my toiletries. As I shuffle out into the hallway, I glance warily at the bathroom door, which is closed.
You've got to be fucking kidding me.
Striding forward, I pound on the door with as much force as I could muster, only to be met with groans and whimpering on the other side. The poor girl was probably hugging the toilet miserably, her hair in disarray and makeup smeared as she regretted every single decision she had made since entering whatever cesspool she found Pete in.

With one more half-hearted rap on the door, I rest my head against it. "For fucks sake, Pete." I mutter before pushing away.
I stride toward his apartment, pounding on his door. "Pete!"
I felt my energy waning but continue to pound on the door and call his name until finally, the door opened.  I was just about to knock one more but leaned too much into it. I started to fall inward but managed to catch myself, glaring accusingly at the blurry-eyed man standing before me as he leans against the door frame, his usual loose-fitting robe hanging open. I grimace.
"For fucks sake, Pete!" I exclaim. "Just once, can you put some fucking clothes on?"
Rubbing the remaining sleep from his eyes, he blinks at me. "Did you need something?" His eyes moved down to my bathrobe and a smirk formed. "Not what I expected but if you give me a moment, I'm game. And here I thought you didn't like me."
I grimaced, pulling my robe closer around me with disgust. "Take care of your fucking friend."
"Friend?" He raised a brow and I motion away toward the bathroom.
"Every fucking day your little groupies are tying up the only bathroom so Yuri and I can't use it. It's inconsiderate."

He blinked once more, turning to look in the direction I pointed, frowning. "She's still here? I thought she left..."

"Seriously?" Feeling my blood boiling, I  straighten. "Figure that shit out or I'm telling the landlord."

Before he can speak, I turn on my heel just as the young woman stumbles out. I stop as she glances between Pete and I before lowering her head and shuffling past us with a muttered apology before disappearing down the stairs. 

"Looks like it's free now." He calls behind me. I roll my eyes and head to the bathroom, making sure to slam the door shut behind me.

*   *   *

Another long night at the bar and a tired shuffle off the subway to my apartment. Another night that I'm barely able to make it to my bed before collapsing onto the blankets with my phone in hand. Only this time, when I wake up, my phone is dead. I reach out to grab my pillow and pull it to me, burying my face in it as I groan.

As I left my apartment with toiletries in hand, I shuffle toward the bathroom, ready to be met by the usual sounds of vomiting, crying, whimpering or a combination of all three.Much to my surprise, the door stood open. I halt, my brows knitting together as I look toward Pete's door. I slowly move toward the bathroom as I hear a door open behind me.
"Happy? It's open and ready for you."
I roll my eyes and enter the bathroom and closing the door behind me. A knock sounds as I'm mid-way through brushing my teeth.
"Occupied," I mutter. "I'll be done soon."
I lean down to spit and when I look back up the door is cracked open with Pete peeking inside.
"The fuck?!" I mutter, turning to push the door closed with my toothbrush hanging out of my mouth. "Do you fucking mind?"
He puts his foot out to keep me from shutting the door fully. I glare at him .
"I knew you were just brushing from the sink running." He says, "Besides, I was just coming to make sure you're happy since it wasn't occupied "as usual" as you said."
I roll my eyes and continue brushing. "Yes, congratulations. You're able to complete minor requests."
He pushes the door open a bit more and moves closer, resting his head against the doorframe.
"Listen, just hear me out a moment, will ya?"
Continuing to brush, I glare at him in the mirror. He raises his hands in surrender. 

"Listen, I just wanted to come and apologize. You were right. Having my guests taking up the bathroom, even if unknowingly, was very inconsiderate and I'm sorry."
He pauses and getting no response, clears his throat.
"Anyways, we got off on the wrong foot so how about once you're finished, I'd like to invite you to my place so we can get together and get to know each other better. What do you say?"
Leaning down into the sink, I spit the excess toothpaste into the sink and meet his gaze in the mirror.
"No thanks," I mutter, cupping some water in my hand to sip it and swish it around. I bend down to spit again and grab the paper towel nearby. "I know guys like you and what "get to know one another" means and I'm not interested. Hate to break it to you but I have a gag reflex."

His brows furrow as I wipe my mouth and throw it in the bin before packing up my things. It takes him only a moment before his brows raise and he lets out a laugh.
"Listen, you're cute but that's not what I meant..."

I swivel around. "Not interested."
I push past him and, without waiting for him to say anything further, I disappear into my room.