The Unexpected

My eyes burned as I sat before my laptop. I reread the last couple of pages I wrote over and over but couldn't for the life of me figure out what came next. The dreaded writer's block.

I felt like I was trying to drive uphill on a snowbank and I could feel the traction slipping as I slowly started to slide backward. Why couldn't I do this?

I checked my phone for about the 10th time, trying to refrain from getting stuck in a social media loop and feeding my self-hatred. It was pathetic. The last time I scrolled through my feeds, I saw old friends and colleagues posed in front of random locales with other friends or loved ones as they announced how much fun they were having in Cancun or posting their newborn giggling while it gets sniffed by their dog with the catchy caption that says "Big brother meeting the new baby!" It's a dog, Susan.

Sitting back in my chair, I groan. Reaching for my coffee cup, I subconsciously take a sip, only to wince and spit it out a moment later. I look at the cup, seeing the suspicious-looking contents inside. Shit... when did I last do dishes?

I contemplate getting up to wash my cup and brew a fresh pot when there's a knock on my door. My eyes widen before narrowing but I don't move. I wait a moment to see if there's another knock but when there isn't, I slowly rise and head to my kitchen. Then they knock again. For fuck's sake.

Setting my cup down, I stride over as there's another knock. Throwing the door open, I frown seeing Pete. He smiles for a moment before it falters as he glances behind me and then back to me. "You look like shit."

I shoot him a glare. "Do you need something? I'm busy."

"Yeah? Like what? Sleeping during the day?" He asks, raising a brow. "Don't tell me you've become a vampire in the past week since I've seen you."

As he says this, my brows draw together. Has it really been a week since the play? Quite honestly, it felt like only a couple of days ago. Then again, I have gone to work a couple of times...

Feeling his gaze on me, I'm snapped out of wandering thoughts as I realize he's expecting an answer.

"Maybe. Feel free to wear garlic at all times, just to be sure."

"Noted." He chuckles. "But seriously, are you busy?"

"Now? Yes."

"Doing what?"

"Writing."

He raises a brow. "How's that going?"

Maybe it was the sleep deprivation or because he was just annoying but I cross my arms over my chest. "Fine." I shrug. Terrible. I'm stuck and hate my life.

"Then how about tonight around 8? Are you free?"

"No."

He raises a brow. "Working?"

"No. Writing."

"For the next four hours?"

"Yes."

His eyes narrow. "You haven't left your apartment much, have you?"

"I don't see how it's your business." I shoot back.

"It could do you some good to  maybe take a nap and get out and about for a short time."

Admittedly, a nap sounded amazing but like hell was I going to tell him that. "No."

I start to close the door but he places a hand on the door to stop it. "Wait..."

With a deep sigh, I open it once more. "What?"

"How about this? I'll leave you alone for now so you can go take a nap since you're clearly in need of sleep. And then at around 8:00 I'll come back and we'll go see a movie. Deal?"