1.3

At this point, Y/N questioned who she had been found upon. The man named Uhtred seemed to have many enemies everywhere he turned, and now she was on the run, too, without knowing where she was heading, or if she was going to die. Currently, she was now on the run and hiding in some place they called Marsh Land, which looked like a swamp and almost inhabitable. In truth, she did not know how long she had been on the run, let alone how long she had been in this era, but she knew for a fact she hated it. She was incredibly homesick. She saw violence as if it were a norm, and it was. This was part of a cruel history where the Danes and Saxons fought each other for their own righteous beliefs.

Currently, as of right now, Y/N  and Hild were comforting Lady Ælswith who refused to allow her son, Edward, to be healed by a Pagan and right now Y/N was in a world where she had to be a Christian. Hell! She wasn't even a Christian in her era. She was never christened nor baptised. Her grandparents were Christians, but it ended there.
"Lady Ælswith," Y/N whispered, trying to come up with some Christian idea to comfort her. "I am only a woman of a small village where the Lady Iseult and Lord Uhtred saved my village from being slaughtered. If I know for one thing, the Lady Iseult works for only the good." Y/N looked at Hild, who agreed with her as the woman cried. Hild offered to stay with the woman until she was not needed anymore, while Y/N left. She did not know how to comfort someone nor ensure the practice or Pagnism would work.

Y/N walked up to Leofric and sat beside him by the fire quietly as she waited for the child to be healed. She did not say anything or do anything, only sitting there quietly. Neither going to sleep or staying awake. In truth, she had not slept in days. She was so afraid something would happen to her in her sleep that she stayed awake.
"Right. What more questions do you have?" Leofric asked. Hating the silence that they sat in. Uhtred had informed Leofric of who she was, even though he did not believe it nor from the word of Iseult, but given that she had no clue where she was, there was a small possibility she was telling the truth.
"Uhhh. I do not have any as of this moment." Y/N said. No, I have too many questions that I don't want an answer for. "Alright, give me the rundown."
"The, run, what?" Leofric asked, squinting at her as he tried to work out what she said.
"Um.  it's a phrase... it means to explain what has happened so far..." Y/N explained awkwardly as she looked at him. Leofric widened his eyes before explaining to her why they were running away from Winchester and who the Danes were. That the Danes sought revenge against Winchester and the Saxons.  She understood the Danes who came from Denmark sought land for power and wealth, but they chose barbaric methods to obtain them.

From that moment, she understood who was the enemy and who was the Saint, with Uhtred standing in the middle as a Saxon brought up as a Pagan. She knew now that it was safer to pass off as a Christian than anything else, whether or not she knew anything about the religion. Y/N made a mental note to ask Hild when she saw her, to teach her the basics of Christianity so she could get by, but part of her wondered if it was safer to be a Pagan so she wouldn't be killed.
"Here." Iseult handed Y/N a bowl of food before sitting next to her.
"What are you thinking about?" Iseult asked. Y/N looked at her. It was almost as if she was the only one who understood her. Y/N shook her head, almost sick and tired of asking questions. She might as well just accept her fate at this point.
"Questions are not a bad thing," Iseult said as she grabbed her hand. "I know you are afraid, and Uhtred will protect you until your path becomes clear." Whatever that means.
"I know. Well... I have to..." Y/N trailed off with a sigh before looking at her, "Am I safer as a Christian or a Pagan."
"Well, are you a Christian?" Uhtred asked.
"No. Never baptised." Uhtred shrugged at her words before suggesting, "You could pass as a Dane. Your hair is dark and your knowledge of God is poor. But that depends on whether you want to slaughter." Y/N rolled her eyes at Uhtred's sarcasm. She could tell he did not want her here or be responsible for her fate, so he just put up with her.
"You're safer as a Christian until the Danes catch you. Then you may want to play your stones, right?" Uhtred offered. Play my stones right? I don't even know how to be a Pagan let alone a Christian!