Chapter 14

Nova ran down the hall looking for a place to hide and found a door slightly ajar and ran into it.

"Oh! Miss Sparks!" The mayor yipped surprised.

Nova wiped her runny nose and kicked off her heels apologising, "Mr Mayor thank you so much for throwing this ball but im gonna need your office sorry." She said pushing him out of the office,

"What? I didn't throw this ball i thought Sportacus did?" The mayor said confused as he was pushed out. Nova slammed the door and laid on the ground defeated.

The hallway outside the ball was filled with the soft cries of Nova, she hoped no one would come for her. She sobbed into her gown, feeling only loneliness and betrayal. She choked on her own cries and wiped at the mascara that was running down her reddened cheeks.

"How could i have been so stupid?" She whimpered to herself.

There was a knock at the door and Nova furrowed her thin brows, "Go away!" She attempted to yell but her voice was hoarse from crying.

"Nova please open the door..." Robbie pleaded, his large silhouette casted a shadow in the frosted window on the door.

"I want to be alone, Robbie." She sniffled between words.

"Okay.. I'll just leave this perfectly good slice of chocolate cake out here..." Robbie said and Nova heard the clinking of a plate outside the door.

Her stomach growled hungrily and she contemplated it. Chocolate cake is the perfect comfort food after all.. She thought.

She took a deep breath and opened the door slightly and took the cake swiftly closing the door behind her.

She looked down at the chocolate cake and smiled briefly and took a large bite. It was so good she couldn't help but cry harder. Robbie had sat down outside the door and waited patiently in comfortable silence. She ate another bite or two getting crumbs and icing all over her still mascara-stained face. She couldn't bare to think what she looked like at this moment in time and put the plate down. There was another soft knock at the door and She held the handle defensively,

"Napkin?" Robbie offered and Nova slowly opened the door just a crack and poked her hand through the grab snatching the napkin out of his hand.

"Thank you.." She said stuffily and wiped her eyes and nose clean blowing into it messily. She opened the door to give it back to him and he grimaced,

"Keep it." He said and Nova thanked him quietly and held onto it. She looked at it and saw it was embroidered with his initials on them, R.R.

She chuckled at its absurdity and rested her head tiredly on the office wall. She stared down at the half-eaten cake slice tiredly and then recalled what the mayor had said, he thought Sportacus threw the ball.

But, sportacus would never serve chocolate cake.

"You threw this ball, didn't you?" She asked.

Robbie hesitated, she looked at his silhouette through the door and huffed smiling.

"You didn't have to do that for me." She added.

"I... I wanted to make up for everything that i've done..." He confessed. "I'm so sorry, Nova." He uttered.

Nova sat in silence for a while, she was torn. She stared at the minimal light that illuminated the office desk and held up her hand into the light, turning it looking at the pale complexion mindlessly and then picked at her nails reclused,

"I'm still mad at you." She said stubbornly.

Robbie nodded from the other side of the door, not arguing back. He knew he deserved it but he held his breath anxiously.

"But, thank you..." She added smiling weakly.

Robbie breathed relieved and looked at the fogged glass at her blurred form,

"I'd do anything for you, Nova Sparks." He replied honestly.

"Then, I'd like some time alone." She asked,

"Of course." Robbie nodded standing up.

"Oh, but, could you get me another slice of cake?" Nova quickly pleaded before he left.

Robbie chuckled sincerely,

"Right away, princess." He said and left in search for a slice.