Chapter Three- Oh, I am fortune's fool

TW- blood, bones, swearing, mentions of alcohol(please let me know if I miss any)

Runa

The ringing of the bell had always warned Runa of any approaching customers. However, she had never found herself as grateful for it as she was now, giving her time to yawn and wipe the sleep-induced drool off herself and the counter, careful not to ruin her research's organisation. Ren would not be happy if he found her sleeping again, and honestly, that was not something she wanted to deal with half-asleep. Or, ever.

"Is it finally time to shut? I've been dying to go to bed for hours."

Runa fidgeted with her gloves and stroked Kaida's scales whilst the tiny dragon snored. At least someone could sleep around here. Still, she needed to check who had entered. Ren always made sure to tell her when he walked in, and the few regular customers had started to let her know too. Runa shuddered- grimacing at the thought of the incidents that had led to that.

"Who's there?" It was a struggle not to let the shakiness of her voice show, to allow this customer, or intruder, to know just how scared she was. But no one usually came in this late at night. And they almost always had a request that they would announce moments after walking in. This deathly-still silence was almost like- No. It would be a customer, she decided, a customer that was half-asleep but wanted to be somewhere with all the antiques to calm them, for whatever reason. Then, she would help them, Ren would come, and he would help shut the shop, and Runa would go to the apartment upstairs and sleep a good eight hours.

"Please don't make me ask who's here again."

A crash of shelves was her first answer.

"SHIT! I'm so so sorry! Oh god! I'm so sorry!" A male voice slurred from the site of the crash. It wasn't Ren, but it couldn't be a soldier if they were that drunk. Could it be a trick, disguising their voice and making a noise so she would run into their trap? She had to leave- had to get to safety. She turned to go out the back, but a tugging in her mind forced her towards the sound. If she looked around the corner, she could tell if it was a soldier, so what was the harm in returning and checking? Plus, Runa was sure that Ren would not be happy if she lost him another customer.

Golden, messy hair glinted under the gentle candlelight. Pale hands worked to pick up the pile of books that had toppled to the ground. Runa had never been so glad for the protective spells she had placed on the more valuable and fragile pieces. Yet, somehow, she couldn't help but stare at the panic in the boy's silver eyes as he tried to check for damage on every item. That's all that he was, just a boy- not a soldier- who, despite his height, seemed to curl back into his slender body to become even shorter than Runa. Wow, he really must be drunk if he thought she would be that worried about the fallen books.

"Oh, there you are. I've been wondering where I could find you."

"How? You don't even know who I am." Runa's response slipped from her lips before she knew she was speaking. Something in the boy's slurred yet smooth voice had startled half of her brain back, but not the single functioning brain cell. But even with her response, a laugh as sweet as honey escaped the boy's lips, and Runa could not fight the smile that spread from her teeth.

"I suppose you are right about that. My name- well, I probably shouldn't tell you that."

"Alright, be mysterious then," Runa laughed, turning to her desk. The boy was still mumbling to himself, but whatever he was trying to say was lost as incoherent sounds and syllables. Still, she hesitated before returning to the counter, running her gloved hands over the rough texture of one of her favourite items on display. The warm white light from the ceiling reduced the harshness of its purple and gold design, letting the few gems upon it glow. Every intricate detail she ran her fingers over, every tiny sun and flower embroidered into it felt soft yet clear. Calling it beautiful would not be enough, but it was the only way she could describe it. Shades of brown and gold filled the rest of the shop, yet Ren had bought this five years ago and made her put it on display. He had never responded to her questions, only-