Chapter 1: Surprises and dates to the Yule Ball

Hermione's POV

My eyes go wide in shock.

"You... what?" I question, still very confused.

"I don't tease you because you're a muggle-born, I tease you because I like you."

"You know, I've liked a Slytherin boy since I met him on the train in my first year," I say.

"Really? Who?" Draco asks.

"He's kind, funny, and he can be kind of annoying when you first meet him. He gets aggressive when you mess with him, and he's charming."

"Oh yeah? What does he look like?"

"Well... he's got silver grey eyes, platinum blonde hair, his name starts with 'D'... And he's sitting right in front of me," I reply.

There's an uncomfortable silence during which Draco takes the opportunity to kiss my cheek.

"I was wondering... would you go to the dance with me?" Draco asks.

"That would be amazing, Draco!" I reply.

"Thank you, Hermione."

"For what?"

"For allowing me a second chance."

"Everyone deserves a second chance, some just get theirs sooner than others." I pause. "Like Krum... I won't be giving him a second chance for a long time."

"Why? What happened?"

"He asked me to the ball about a month ago and then earlier today he said that he decided to go with Lillian instead."

"I'm so sorry."

"You know what?" I say. "I'm not. It's allowed me this chance to change something between us."

Draco smiles mischievously.

"What?" I ask worriedly.

"Mother says that I have two left feet," Draco replies.

"Well lucky for you, I've been dancing since I was six. We can practice in our free periods after lunch and we can practice a lot more on Saturday."

"Ugh! Do we have to?" Draco complains.

"Yes. Unless you want me to repeat a certain experience from third year?" I say, giving him an alternate option.

"Fine," Draco says. "I'll take the dance lessons."

"Good. I'll see you in the empty classroom on the fourth floor, the one with the window that overlooks the lake," I say.

The bell rings and we both jump.

"Oh my gosh!" I cry. "We have to head to class. I'll see you after lunch."

"See you then," Draco says, picking up his bag and leaving me alone.

Ginny walks in moments later and looks at me confused.

"Are you alright?" Ginny asks. "I just saw..."

"I know. The weirdest thing just happened," I reply.

"What?" Ginny questions.

I quickly explain and Ginny looks at me like I'm crazy.

"He said that?" Ginny inquires.

"He did. And then he asked me to go to the Yule Ball with him," I answer.

"You said yes, didn't you?"

"Of course I did! I need to go with someone to the Yule Ball. But..."

"But what?"

"But he told me that his mother says that he has two left feet. I'm worried about that. I have to give him dance lessons."

"Does it really surprise you that the 'foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach' can't dance?"

"I called him that once. I feel like he's changed since then."

"Enough to ask you to the Yule Ball?"

"Yes," I say. "Although I still have to give him dance lessons."