Chapter 3: Yule Ball

Draco's POV

I sit on my bed around seven thirty and look at myself in the mirror.

"Is something bugging you, Draco?" Blaise asks, putting on his green suit coat.

"I don't know what tie to wear because Hermione didn't tell me what color her dress is."

"Pansy said that Ginny told her that Hermione's dress was blue," Blaise says, putting on his pink tie to match Pansy's dress.

"Blue tie it is then," I say standing up.

I grab my blue tie and work on putting it on. There's a knock on the door and Blaise opens it.

"It's time to go," Pansy says.

Blaise gives Pansy his arm and we head out of my room and into the common room where everyone is waiting. I head out into the hall to head into the Entrance Hall before the ball.

Third person POV

All of the students head to the Entrance Hall, either with their dates or to go find their dates from other houses. When Harry and Ron get down there, Hermione is still nowhere to be found.

"Where is Hermione?" Ron asks, looking over the heads of the crowd for her.

A group of Slytherins come up the steps from their dungeon common room. Draco is in front, wearing dress robes of black velvet with a medium blue tie.

(Draco's tie)

(Draco's tie)

Pansy Parkinson is in very frilly robes of pale pink, on the arm of Blaise Zabini, who is in dark green dress robes with a pink tie to match Pansy's dress. Crabbe and Goyle are both wearing green and they resemble moss-colored boulders. Neither of them, Harry is pleased to see, had managed to find a partner.

The oak front doors open, and everyone turns to look as the Durmstrang students enter with Professor Karkaroff. Krum is at the front of the party, accompanied by a girl in green robes that Harry doesn't know. Over their heads he sees that an area of lawn right in front of the castle had been transformed into a sort of grotto full of fairy lights - meaning hundreds of actual living fairies were sitting in the rose bushes that had been conjured there, and fluttering over the statues of what seemed to be Father Christmas and his reindeer.

Then Professor McGonagall calls, "Champions over here, please!"

Parvati readjusts her bangles, beaming.

She and Harry say, "See you in a minute," to Ron and Padma and walk forward, the chattering crowd parting to let them through.

Professor McGonagall tells them to wait on one side of the doors while everyone else goes inside. They are to enter the Great Hall in procession when the rest of the students have sat down. Fleur Delacour and Roger Davies stationed themselves nearest the doors. Davies looks so stunned by his good fortune in having Fleur for a partner that he can hardly take his eyes off her. Cedric and Cho are close to Harry too. He looks away from them so he wouldn't have to talk to them. Harry looks at the girl on Krum's arm and recognizes her as Lillian Jones, a Slytherin girl in his year.