Chapter 2

On the 25th of December, everywhere Timothée hears the jingles and themes of church bells from the moment he wakes up. He receives a knock on his door. It's the post and he finds the miniature plastic Christmas tree his mother sent for him. He lights it, scans the mini ornamentals earnestly, and then rings his mother's phone on the morning of Christmas.

"Merry Christmas, Ma."

"Merry Christmas, Tim. How is your work in Seattle?"

"Excellent, Ma."

"How's Rita and my grandson?"

Unnerved by his mother's question about Rita, he tells her gloomily that he hasn't seen her in 8 months.

"You have got to make things right, Tim. As soon as you get your doctorate, you will return to her and beg her to reconcile. I cannot see this family breaking and Harry, he's still your son and needs both of you, Imagine the effect on him-"

"Ma, it's Christmas, why don't you be a little glass half full today? As it is, Rita and I are no longer together and there are no chances for her to reconsider me in her life. I think we should move on with it. Merry Christmas, Ma!"

He hangs up.

He greets his family separately on call and in the midst of all the colourful chaos, he thinks he should buy Floret a gift for Christmas since he's seeing her the same day. He goes to McGraw's Toy Store and decides to purchase a miniature World War 1 Battalion of France and England. He decides since she's a history geek, she'd love the present and especially the tiny french spies.

He drives back to Syfel and knocks on her door.

"Come in."

"Hi, Mr Voight."

"Hi Floret, why don't you call me Tim? It's my nickname."

"Okay, Tim. What is this?"

"This is your present for Christmas."

"Oh no no no-"

"No?"

"I mean I didn't get you one and gosh this makes me feel strange."

"It's okay, you're not obligated to get me a present just because I got you one."

"I mean there must be something I can do in return for this? Can I open it?"

"Sure."

She tears the golden wrapping and finds his Christmas Card that says:

"Wishing you a very jolly and merry Christmas"

"Oh, this is wonderful, Tim, Merry Christmas to you too."

She finally gets to the package and finds the miniature mapping, troops, camps, and arms and gapes at it.

"I can't believe you did this, this is so great. Thank you!" she says to him.

Timothée smiles.

"It's nothing really," he says.

"Oh, C'mon, Tim, there must be something I can do for you."

"You know what? why don't you go get dressed and then we'll discuss this at dinner."

She wears her special yellow square-neck dress with flats as footwear.

She does her hair as many layers emerge out of it and gets dressed up meticulously as if she were getting married.

"You can come in now," she says as she applies lipstick.

Timothée rapidly searches for words to describe her and gets awkward. He's highly unaware of what it is that women must like to hear after they get into a new outfit, he remembers many arguments he had with Rita when he told her she looked 'fine' or 'okay' after she came out of her wardrobe selection and makeup sessions. He then decides to be as forward as possible with Floret.