Apart

(Your POV)

The twenty minute car ride drags on and on, making you dizzily stare out the window. Trying not to let the butterflies in your stomach eject what was left of this morning's stir-fry.

Nervously gnawing nausea.

You didn't think you'd return under these circumstances and you find it hard to believe this is happening, resisting the urge to jump out of the moving vehicle like in the movies. This will be alright, Cry said everything will work out fine. And when you're done he'll still let you stay, he'll let everything go and forgive you. You sit in the front seat of Cry's car after giving him the address to 'Nama's house.
When Cry held you in an embrace, after both apologizing over the huge misunderstanding that was fermenting in all four of your palms. The argument started with him suggesting you should return home and say goodbye, you we're scared and ran into the woods. But there in his arms, you felt the need to give closure to your grandmother. To tell her not to worry, to tell her not to find you and that you're safe. Then maybe, just maybe, you could have the chance to restart and clean up your life.

"Is this the place?" Cry rips you from your thoughts, flicking his head to the old house and its old tree. It looked even less kept then when you left, the leaves had fallen onto the uncut lawn, and the paint was stained with rust from the clogged drain pipes. You nod lightly, clutching to a small envelope. You had written a goodbye letter, expressing your feelings and explaining your side of the story, before ending it with a peaceful apology and saying goodbye.
"Are you sure you're alright doing this?" He asks looking at you through his shades. You nod, meeting his gaze and mouthing; "I have to." He smiles before opening the door and tapping his fingers on the roof of the car, looking at the house. You exit the car and go to stand by him.
"That tree looks like the one in my yard." He mutters to himself leaning on his door. You breathe in a deep sigh, exhaling all your doubt and letting it be stolen by the wind.
'I'll just stick the letter on the "Welcome" sign attached to the door, the walk back to the car. Then everything will fall into place.' You stare at the door across the lawn, seeming so far away. You begin to trudge endlessly through the weeds, towards the door.

Thorns claw at jean, effortlessly warning victims of useless flowers.

(Cry's POV)

There she goes, dragging her feet towards the front door of her old house. [Name] had decided she had to shut the door she left open, I had only suggested the idea and thought I offended her because of it; but maybe I pointed her in the right direction at least, she's a strong girl. I smile to myself watching the scene unfold slowly, she reaches the door and slides her letter between the "E" and "L" of her grandmother's "Welcome" sign. She stands in front of it lost in thought before turning her head to me, I smile and nod to tell her it's okay. She sighs before turning to trudge in the weeds without looking back at the door. Halfway across the lawn, she freezes and her jaw drops. A defining creek resonates in the breeze and I can't pull my eyes away from her shocked expression.

"[Name]?"

The front door to the house creeks again as a burly man steps out onto the porch, calling out to [Name]. She tenses, and I can see tears forming in the corners of her eyes; and not any happy tears of joy. She is absolutely terrified.
'That must be the uncle she ranted about on the flier. Dammit! Now what I do?' As both [Name] and I stare at one another nervously, another voice splits the air like nails on a chalkboard.
"Well look at this, honey; the mute came back for seconds. Missed us [Name]?" A scrawny woman appears at the man's side, clinging to his arm and mimicking his glare on [Name]. The way they looked at her made me want to scream at them. I remember what [Name] wrote on the paper when I asked her for the whole truth, it came down to these two assholes standing in the doorway and how they forced her out of her home. It made me want to beat the man senseless and rip out his girlfriend's voice box.