Chapter 4

The King, not-Prince Edan, and her governess were all situated in a small, private office inside the library. The guards left Nong at the door after announcing her. She gulped nervously and bowed before them.

"Your majesty. Your...highness," She managed to say.

The King waved a hand at an empty chair beside her governess. "Please take a seat,"

"What's the nature of this meeting?" Governess Gao asked sternly. Her fingers tapped impatiently on the wooden table.

Nong was always amazed at her governess's boldness. She wished she had more of her confidence. She quietly sat down in her assigned seat.

The King sighed heavily. He straightened his silver necklace and rubbed the back of his neck. "Prince Edan has brought to my attention an auspicious prophecy which he uncovered while in the North,"

"A prophecy?" Governess Gao raised her eyebrow.

"Yes, where the first Lotus castle lies in ruin," The King answered. He looked over to Prince Edan to continue. Nong followed the gaze and noticed the fake prince's slender fingers fidget strangely – something the real Prince Edan would never do. He quickly tucked them under the desk and shrugged.

"While my men and I took refuge at the ruins...I...chanced upon a scroll that contained the dark prophecy. One of a terrible beast lying underneath the old castle who will awaken to devour the world,"

The room was silent.

"The North is indeed a mysterious place," Governess Gao suddenly mused. She straightened in her chair, "The late Bird Witch has mentioned such a prophecy before...and furthermore that there would be three warning signs from the Lotus family before the beast is to awaken,"

"A promise broken, a royal death, and a day of darkness," The King said glumly. He turned toward his son again, "Prince Edan is here safe and sound. Have you broken any important promises lately?"

At this, Nong tensed.

Not-prince Edan shook his head. His glamour swishing at the movement. "Did she...mention how to stop the beast?"

"No...and she never got the chance to," Governess Gao stared coldly back at him and then to the King.

The King cleared his throat avoiding her and turned to Nong, "And what say you? Is this truly a threat to our kingdom?"

Nong struggled to remain calm as everyone's eyes rested on her.

Real Prince Edan didn't return as promised...that was the first strike already. Horrible thoughts began to reel through her mind. If fake prince – whoever he really is - was here possessing Prince Edan's body – Prince Edan might even be dead...strike two.

She locked eyes with the imposter. She should reveal him right now. She opened her mouth to speak and then everything turned black.

There was a terrifying loud roar.

It shook the very earth and Nong fell to her knees. She covered her ears with both of her hands but the sound vibrated into her heart. It felt twisted and painful. She tried to look around. She was no longer in the King's library. She was outdoors and someplace she didn't recognize. Someone ran past her towards a looming shadow and then everything turned dark once more.

"Nong?" Governess Gao's voice brought her back to the library. She held Nong in her arms as the room readjusted itself.

The King's eyebrows raised, "Well?"

"...The Beast may be slain...by the one who wields the powers of a God," Nong gasped.

At this – not-Prince Edan frowned. The King scooted back his chair and stood to give his command. He placed his hand on his son's shoulder.

"Then it is settled. Prince Edan and Nong must return to the North, find the beast, and slay it,"