Chapter 6

"Sixth Form: Black Wind Mountain Mist." Sanemi rotated his body in an uppercut, creating a tornado of slashes.

"First Form: Eye of the Storm." Arashi blocked. She pivoted on her back foot, "Fourth Form: Tsunami Takedown." She launched herself at Sanemi, her sai came down with an explosion of force. He was unable to raise his sword quickly enough, she slashed into his cheek.

"Sanemi!" Arashi dropped her sai, her hand shooting up to his face. He grabbed her wrist roughly, then loosened his grip in realization.

"It's ok," he mumbled at her, the blood trickling down his face. "You've gotten fast." He managed.

"You need first aid or you'll scar." Arashi's mouth clamped shut. She looked down at Sanemi's exposed chest that was covered in scars, and back up to the healed slashes across his face. He arched an eyebrow at her and smirked.

"Wouldn't want that now, would we?" Arashi blushed at her foolishness. Sanemi was gently holding her wrist now. His eyes caught hers and his gaze softened. In a way, she reminded him so much of Kanae. He missed her so much. He leaned in, his lips brushed against hers. She didn't resist. He kissed her again, harder, pulling him in close to her. Arashi could feel his longing for closeness, for connection. But it was not her he longed for. Not truly. She broke the kiss and regarded him with compassion.

"What was her name," she whispered softly.

"Kanae." He whispered back, his eyes misting despite his internal protest. He knew then, that Arashi would never be his. That his heart would always long for someone forever out of his reach. Sanemi smiled sadly at her and left Arashi on the training ground, passing Rengoku who had witnessed everything.

Rengoku's POV

Weeks had passed since our last real encounter. I had been pulled away on back to back missions. Demons had been growing more bold recently. I tried to be formal when I was around Arashi, mindful that others were always nearby, but I longed to hold her.

I returned early from my last mission. Nothing was pressing at the moment. Perhaps I could find her and have a quiet minute alone with her. She would likely be on the training ground. I made my way to where I thought she would be, but I felt my heart stop when I found her.

She was kissing Sanemi. My eyes clouded with jealousy and hurt. I thought that she had wanted me, like I had wanted her. Was it one-sided? How could I have been so stupid?

Her back was to me, she didn't know I was there. They broke the kiss, and Sanemi walked past me. His head down, not acknowledging me. I don't even think he noticed I was there.

I left the grounds, I couldn't bare to look at her.

Reader's POV

Arashi had seen little of Rengoku since their night on the mountain. He was often busy, away on other missions. When he was around, he treated her no different from any other Corps member. She wondered if the feelings she had were one-sided. She thought he had felt the same way about her. But weeks had passed since their night in the hot spring, and she felt a distance growing.

She walked the grounds of the estate, musing on what she should do. She saw him up ahead. His flame pattern haori and hair unmistakable. She would get her answers. She would not be some play thing for him to toss casually aside once he was done with her.

"Hello Kyojuro." He grunted a response.

"How have your missions been?" Fine, he replied flatly.

"Kyojuro, I think--" he raised his hand, cutting her off.

"I think you should go back to addressing me as Lord Rengoku from now on." So that's my answer.

She swallowed her hurt, "Yes, Lord Rengoku." They walked in awkward silence for a moment before she spoke again. "Lord Rengoku?" Silence. "Have I done something..." Arashi trailed off, not knowing how to finish her question. Rengoku turned to her, his eyes dark.

"I don't know, have you?" There was a edge to his voice.

"I don't know what you me--"

"I saw you kissing Sanemi earlier."

"You don't understand. It's no--" he leaned in closer to her.

"I think I understand perfectly well. Tell me, is your plan to go through all the Hashira? At this rate you can probably have Tengen by the end of the week." He hissed his words at her. Arashi was momentarily stung by his words. SMACK. She slapped him hard across the face. She turned from him and ran, tears threatening to betray her anger.

—————

Arashi pushed her food around her bowl. She had no appetite. Only taking the occasional bite so as not to waste her meal. Mitsuri watched her, concerned. Her friend had barely spoken two words at dinner.

"Arashi-chan, what's wrong?"

Arashi could not tell her. How could she? The man I care for thinks me a whore. Mitsuri was his Tsuguko. A Hashira. She could turn to no one. She sighed. "I'm just not feeling well is all." She managed a weak smile and excused herself. Mitsuri cast a worried look to Obani.

"Arashi! Wait!" Mitsuri ran up. Arashi slowed her pace. "Please. Tell me what's bothering you." Mitsuri took her hands and held them.

Arashi looked away. "I can't."

"You know you can tell me anything! No matter what, right?" Arashi looked back at Mitsuri. She saw nothing but kindness and concern in her eyes. Arashi smiled and squeezed her hands.

"You are my very best friend Mitsuri-chan."

CAW! Kaze cried from above. "Arashi Narumi! You have a mission! Fishermen are disappearing off their boats in a seafaring village to the southeast! Go now!"

Arashi sighed. Perhaps a mission away from Kyojuro -- Rengoku would be best. A mission by the sea would help take her mind off things. She looked back at Mitsuri and smiled, "When I return I will tell you."

—————

"Trouble in paradise?" Tengen watched Rengoku swing his sword. His form was off. Sloppy even.

Rengoku panted, sweat dripping from his face. "What do you mean?"

Tengen crossed his arms. "I'm not stupid. This is about that Storm Breather." Rengoku tensed. Tengen smiled, "That's what I thought. So what happened?"

"I saw her kissing someone else... Sanemi."

Tengen arched his brow. "Sanemi? The guy she punched in the face? Our Sanemi?" Rengoku was silent. "Doesn't seem like her. Seems like she only has eyes for YOU."

"How did you--"

Tengen laughed, "They don't call me the Sound Hashira for no reason. I heard you two at the festival. Kyojuro." He pitched his voice higher, attempting to imitate Arashi. His voice grew serious again. "You should go to her."

Rengoku thought back. Had he seen things wrong? He realized then that she had broken the kiss. That Sanemi had walked past him without noticing him. That the hot-headed Hashira didn't appear angry, but rather...sad. Rengoku had made a mistake. He had pushed her away.

"I was cruel to her," he whispered looking away.

Tengen placed a sympathetic hand on his friend's shoulder. "Go make things right."