The Meeting

"YOUR HIGHNESS!"

That desperate cry combines with the roars of four enraged dragons as they swarm around their master, shielding her, protecting her, even as an impossibly bright flash strikes from the heavens, not unlike a bolt of lightning seeking justice, as though it's divine retribution for daring to harm their most beloved child...

That all-encompassing light swallows the entire world with it, fury and hatred coalescing as the incensed sky screams a sound of such wrath and pain at the grievance that has befallen the Crimson Dragon.

And then only empty silence is left in its wake.

Moments pass, and now they appear, along with their awareness.

This will be God's gift – and curse.

And what determines it will be the beholder...

***

In this large chamber that stretches as far as the eyes can chase, a group of highly distinctive individuals suddenly materializes out of nowhere.

Most land on their feet, but some crumble to the floor as soon as their legs give out and the more unfortunate ones fall on their bums the instant they appear.

All of them are donned in clothes, accessories and hairstyles of the same era, and it's immediately apparent that they know each other very well when the atmosphere turns stiflingly awkward in a matter of seconds as they slowly regain their bearings, but haven't quite adjusted to this impossible situation yet.

"Ow, everything hurts..." Kija unknowingly breaks the tense silence, as he struggles to move his weary body. Because he is one of those who had landed on the floor, he can't quite see the rest of the room and is thus blissfully oblivious to who his other companions are. The last thing he recalls is lying on the ground, watching as the arrows were about to strike the princes –

Right, the princess!

Having the same thought as him, Jaeha, who is also lying on the ground next to him and getting a first-hand experience of what the soles of Kija's shoes smell like – which is a combination of dirt and something absolutely awful – croaks out, "where is Yona dear?"

From his vantage point, he also can't see the remaining people gathered with him, which is why he's able to remain relatively calm.

"... I think the better question is, where are we? And um... why are... you all here..." Yoon finally speaks up tentatively, clenching his fists as he summons all his courage to say his mind.

Because if his eyes are not deceiving him...

For some unfathomable reason, the king of Kouka is standing in front of them stoically, although even the usually unflappable man can't quite hide his shock at being dragged here abruptly. He was waiting for the Xing kingdom's princesses to arrive at the border of Kouka so... what is he doing here?

Soowon remembers being swathed in light all of a sudden, and when that light has subsided, he is somehow here.

But not alone.

No, because the individual whose aura is burning with bloodlust is now staring daggers at him.

Son Hak.

The two face each other, like the calm before the storm, tumultuous and unspoken feelings rendering communication unnecessary. It's a wonder that Hak hasn't flown off into rage like he did the first time he saw Soowon after – after King Il's passing. At the hands of Soown.

Mundok, who is also present, carefully observes Hak. He has an inkling about what transpired between them, and he doesn't blame Hak for harboring hatred towards Soowon, but he also can't let Hak kill Soowon in the spur of the moment as it will be a decision that may tear Kouka asunder.