Chapter 3: Hands Held Firmly Behind His Back

"Princess... Princess Yona."

Yona huffs, disheveled and weary.

"Do you need to take a short break?"

"Phew, so you managed to escape in the end." Lili comments. "Tell me that things get better from here on." She begs.

Hak manages a smile. "They mostly do."

Clouds gather in the sky.

Hak guards over Yona as she rests against the base of a tree.

"Did Minsoo die?" Yona wonders forlornly. "Will I die, too? Will Soowon... kill you too?"

Kyoga feels like he has been stabbed in the gut.

The king that he trusted so much... There's no denying it now.

Soowon is a murderer.

He has been following someone who... who may not have been that much better than his father.

Conflict wars within him.

"I'll never hand my life over to that asshole." Hak growls.

"Heavens know that the only way you can die at his hands is if you go willingly." Kija says proudly. "There's no way anyone can kill you. Except me , of course." He sniffs pompously.

Hak snorts. "Don't get ahead of yourself now, White Snake."

Kija pouts.

Joodoh shakes his head, confused. He can't make sense of their dynamics at all. One moment they're talking about killing each other, the next they have each other's backs.

"Don't die, Hak. Because if you do... I won't forgive you..." Yona trails off as she falls asleep.

Hak gazes at the princess, reminiscing.

She was a princess who didn't know of filth or misery.

I still remember that time... as if it were yesterday.

Hak recalls it vividly as well, rewatching his thoughts.

"Oo, is Zeno going to see a flashback now?" Zeno exclaims excitedly.

...

He's always excited so that isn't saying a lot.

"Zeno will be seeing a new side of Mister!"

"Technically, it's an old side. Because, you know, it happened in the past." Geuntae grins. "Get it?"

Groans resound.

"That was a terrible pun." Joongi replies mildly.

"You just have no taste."

Joongi sips his tea, which King Hiryuu had procured for him. "My tastebuds are most refined, thank you very much."

Geuntae snorts, clearly disagreeing.

"Hak! Hey Hak!"

"Hm?"

A fifteen-year-old Hak is shown on screen.

"Wow, you look younger." Kija comments, taking in Hak's features and more relaxed disposition.

"Obviously. I was younger." Hak rolls his eyes.

"I like the feathers in your hair," Lili supplies.

"I removed them after... after I became the Wind Tribe General." He explains, ruffling his hair. In the beginning it had felt weird without the feathers, but now he's grown accustomed to it.