Chapter 1: Princess Yona

Yona appears on screen, donned in a cloak and holding a sword in one hand, the blade stabbed into the ground beneath her.

The princess stares into the distance, her hardened gaze that of someone who has seen through it all.

She speaks a few curt sentences to an unknown person, whose voice is too low to pinpoint their identity.

Everyone blinks at how much more mature she looks. Not that she looks necessarily older, but she gives off an aura of someone much, much wiser. As though her young body has already gone through horrors and trials enough to last multiple lifetimes.

"A glimpse of the future," the Crimson Dragon explains at their befuddled expressions. Though King Hiryuu may be out of sight, his voice is still clearly heard by all.

Incredible , Jaeha thinks. To be able to see even the future... Is it set in stone? He who pursuits freedom endlessly loathes the idea of a future that can't be changed. He refuses to believe in it, even.

And then on screen, accompanied by the princess's wistful thoughts, time begins to rewind... back to the past.

A younger Princess Yona appears on the screen, her carmine hair flowing down her back in generous waves, and a faint blush on her cheeks.

Lili's eyes widen at how adorable the princess looks with her long, wavy red hair and a light brush dusting her cheeks. The Yona that she knows is still cute, but the version of the princess that she is seeing now, the one who has yet to face all those adversities, is so different.

She looks like a budding flower, timidly taking its first steps into the vast world.

Soowon's heart clenches at the sight of the princess, so innocuous and lively. But not for long , he thinks wretchedly. Because of him.

"So the princess had long hair originally? I remember her hair was shorter when we first met. She looks so pretty, as expected of our master! Also, I don't think her hair is weird at all, it's a precious symbol of her as our master!" Kija spouts excitedly, talking to mostly the Happy Hungry Bunch.

Shinah nods silently in agreement while Jaeha rolls his eyes at Kija's exuberance, telling the overeager Kija to calm down.

Taejun gulps, suddenly recalling why exactly it is that the princess will have shorter hair later. Or rather, whose fault it is. He sinks even lower in his seat when he realizes that everyone will be privy to his pathetic moment soon enough.

King Il appears on screen, speaking affectionately to his daughter.

Tension rises in the room, almost palpable in its stifling intensity. The atmosphere in the chamber immediately plummets to glacial coldness as they all take in the deceased emperor – who was still alive and healthy on the screen.

As if on cue, everyone turns to look at Soowon... whose face is a mask of impassiveness. But inwardly, to him, seeing first Yona, and now King Il, is like taking two poisoned arrows to his heart.

Arrows that carry with them seeds of doubt and unease, wondering if what he really did was right... But no, he could not afford to care about such sentiments now. He had already cast them aside long ago, so why are feelings akin to guilt taking root in him now ?

Jaeha notices that not everyone is glancing at Soowon surreptitiously, though. Hak is looking at the screen, his expression equally inscrutable as he takes in his former master's appearance.

Right now, Hak is recalling the promise he made to King Il, to always protect the princess. He has upheld his end of the bargain ever since the king passed away, and he prays that when they return to the real world, the princess will be fine.