Chapter 7: The Spear Kept Within The Heart

"Chief! Young chief!"

Hak scribbled angrily on a piece of parchment, tuning out the panicked cries of the Wind Tribe members who were frantic that the river had dried up. He was calculating the cost needed in case they had to negotiate and buy water.

"Calculating finances? You?" Yoon asks skeptically.

Hak leans back on his seat, arms raised and thrown behind his head. "Hey, I can do basic arithmetics, you know."

"The key word is basic," Jaeha drawls.

"I heard that my brother protects the princess just for the money. Is that true?" Taeyeon asked innocently.

"Tsk, tsk, corrupting innocent souls now, huh?"

"Droopy-eyes, if you don't shut up I will punch a hole through your face."

If anything, Jaeha only looks more spurred on by Hak's words. He says as much, musing aloud, "That sounds quite tempting."

Kija perks up. "Oh, if that's the case, would you like me to –"

"No."

"You haven't even –"

"A punch from you will send me to the afterlife."

"I can use my left –"

"No."

Kija deflates.

"What other reason would I have?" Hak's reply caused Yona to grow indignant.

"Maybe the very tiny and totally not obvious crush you have on our darling Yona –"

Hak is fast, but Jaeha is ready for his punch thanks to the previous warning. He jumps lightly and flutters in the air, dodging Hak's punch which punctures a hole in his chair.

King Hiryuu releases a not-so-subtle sigh as he fixes it. He decides to make the chairs of everyone extra sturdy so he won't have to – literally – keep cleaning up after their mess.

"I was just answering your question," Jaeha says smoothly, landing back onto his seat.

"I didn't ask you to."

"You didn't ask me not to either."

"Oh stop it! At this rate we'll never finish watching!" Yoon snaps.

"Yes, Mother," both Hak and Jaeha reply back dully. Yoon's retort that he doesn't remember giving birth to them goes in one ear and comes out the other.

Just then, someone announced loudly that Elder Mundok had returned.

"Gramps!"

Mundok dismounted from his horse and turned towards that familiar voice. His eyes widened when he saw Hak and Yona standing there.

Mundok recalls how he felt sheer, overwhelming relief at that time – so potent in its intensity that his knees nearly caved in. Despite his unflappable demeanor at the five tribes meeting, news of King Il's death and Hak's disappearance along with the princess had him assuming the worst; not of Hak's betrayal, of course, but of their deaths.

The next second he was embracing Yona tightly.

"Thank goodness... Thank goodness you were safe..." Mundok murmured in a tone full of pain. He went on to apologize for not being able to protect Yona at the time of King Il's death.

"Like grandfather, like grandson," Lili muses.

When Hak raises a brow, she explains, "Both of your immediate reactions were to blame yourselves for King Il's death even though you weren't culpable."