chapter one

amy's alarm blared, waking her from her deep sleep. she groaned and fumbled for her phone somewhere in the bed before sitting up and rubbing her eyes. she looked across the room and saw her roommates empty bed. blaze had already left for the day. she had an 8:00am class on these days and amy didn't need to get up until 8:30am.

amy groaned as she hopped down from her lofted bed. she picked up her shower caddy and trudged her way down the hall to the bathroom at the other end of the floor.

when she started college at the beginning of last semester, amy had such hopeful ideas about what things would be like with a roommate. she thought she'd be getting a new best friend. she imagined that they would get ready together before going out on weekends, maybe sharing makeup and trading cute tops. maybe they would gossip together and walk arm in arm to campus events and pull all nighters together during finals. maybe one of them would have a night where they'd need to get over a heartbreak from some jerk, and so they would stay up all night eating ice cream and watching silly romcoms.

reality was quite different though.

it wasn't that she and blaze didn't get along. blaze was a nice enough girl. they just, barely ever saw each other. their class schedules didn't line up at all last semester and it seemed like they weren't going to this year either. on top of that, blaze drove home every weekend to be with her high school sweetheart, over two hours all the way back home to where she grew up.

most people who came into college still attached to a partner from high school ended up single before halloween, amy heard. but here it was, the start of spring semester and silver and blaze were apparently just as deeply in love as ever before.

amy returned to her room and began to get ready for the day. she knew that by mid-semester she'd probably be back to wearing pajamas to morning classes, but it was the first week back so she decided to make somewhat of an effort.

dark jeans, a nice sweater, and a pair of mid-calf boots to help navigate the snow still on the ground. a cute outfit, she thought, as she looked at herself in the mirror. but, it being winter, she'd need to cover it all up with a giant coat. she frowned slightly but was snapped out by a gentle knock at her door.

"amy?" big called from the other side.

"coming!" amy called back, scrambling to gather up her things.

she took her sketchbook off her bed, shoving it down into her bag next to her school books, and headed off.

~

"what classes do you have today?" big asked as he ate scrambled eggs.

dining hall was bustling with activity and most of the tables were full, but amy and big had been able to snag just one for themselves.

"um," amy pulled out her printed schedule. "first off is introduction to decision making in management."

a name so dull that amy felt she might nod off halfway through just reading it. how boring would the actual class be then?

"something for your major?"

"yeah." she responded, scrunching up her nose. she had hoped to fill up her freshman year with just gen ed classes and put off any classes for her major until next year, but this is how her schedule worked out. her other class of the day was western civ, so hopefully that would be more interesting.

"you don't seem excited." big said with a concerned frown, his brows burrowed in worry.

she shrugged. "so, spring semester. that means lacrosse will be starting up, right?" amy asked, looking up to change the subject.