Chapter 67: Salwa As Karna's charioteer

"I beg you to be my charioteer."

Two great warriors from two sides, one from the Pandava and another one from the Kaurava, were pleading this two separate persons. From the side of the Pandava it was Arjuna to Lord Krishna and from the Kaurava side it was Karna to Madra Naresh (king) Salwa.

At first let's go to the Pandava tent.

Arjuna was sitting on his one knee and bowing before Lord Krishna while uttering this -

"Hey Keshav, Hey Madhushudan (Two names of Lord Krishna), be my Savior. Guide me through the mess of this great battle. Become my charioteer. Unless I will lost my way. I can't fight against my family and relatives."

Lord Krishna looked at his friend's face with utmost interest. Arjuna was heart broken as he had to fight against his family members. But as his friend and partner Lord Krishna could not let him lost his tracks.

He lifted his friend by touching his both shoulders and gently whispered "I told you beforehand, Partha, this is not a battle between siblings. This is a great battle of Kurukshetra. This is a war of justice and injustice. This is the result of Draupadi's insult (he noticed Arjuna's reactions). This is the battle of injustice done by your uncle (he meant King Dhritashtra) to all of you. This is the battle against the crimes done by Duryodhan, be it poisoning Bhimsen or burning down the Lakha Griha. This is the battle of seclusion of Pandavas for years. This is the battle of great significance. This battle is long due. It has to be done. Now."

"But Keshav, here I am bound to fight against my own grandfather Bhism. I have to fight against Gurudev. They loves me. I can't raise my hand on them. Never." Arjuna insisted.

"Don't forget the fact, Partha, they are both standing on the side of injustice. Those people from whom you are crying, never had said a word against Draupadi's insult. Never said a word in the case of Baranabat. Never said a word at the time of dyut krira. They were uttering the one word 'helpless'. Who is helpless?!!! The still greatest archer of Aryabarta, Pitamah Bhism!! The Guru Dronacharya who can't be killed with his bow in hands!!! Futile. Your cry is futile. They watched the sin of stripping Draupadi with their very eyes. Don't forget that agreeing with a crime or just witnessing it are not far from doing it. You want to kill Anga Raj Karna for calling your wife 'Beshya', then why not Pitamah Bhism or Guru Drone?!! They were equally giulty, Partha." Lord Krishna tried to give moral support to his friend.

Arjuna was still unconvinced. For being agreed to fight, he needed to watch the Viswarup.
.....

"Can you be my charioteer?!!"

Karna was asking this to Madra King, gentleman's gentleman yet fierce warrior, Salwa. His face was hot red. Till now he never begged to anyone. He lowered his head to the floor.

"Do you want me to do that?!! Even after knowing that I will be greatest critic of yours?!!" Salwa asked him bewilderedly. He was sincerely taken aback.

"Yes. I know. You never liked me. You always criticize me. But I don't mind. It has two reasons. First, you are uncle of Nakul and Sahadev (he suppressed a sigh while uttering these names). You are in relationship my uncle too. Like every uncle you have right to criticize your nephew. I will be find them helpful. And secondly, as the charioteer you have to be truthful to your master. A charioteer never lies nor tries to make his master great in front of others. He has to show the pitfall of his masters. You are good at it. Third, in this whole world there are two great charioteer exists who can guide a fighter easily through this toughest battle of Kurukshetra. One is Lord Krishna who is dear Arjuna's charioteer. Another one is you who is also incompatible in this field. The first one is unavailable but you are. Hence I am requesting you, Madra Naresh. I also need a good Sarathi (charioteer) like Arjuna. Please don't say no." Karna folded his hands before him.

Madra Naresh seemed moved. He felt touched. He never knew that Karna could have such soft side too. He did not get a chance to meet with him personally before. He always heard from his twin nephews about the arrogance and imprudence of Anga Raj. He painted this man's picture in the same light. He was wrong. Karna had more shades yet to discover.

"Okay. I accept. But believe me I will never go easy on you." Salwa warned him.

"I am well prepared for this." Karna smiled a bit. Lifeless smile. As if he knew the result beforehand.
....

"Putro (son), give me your word of honor to save my son Duryodhan. I did not give him the blessings to be successful. But if you are his side, then nothing can stop him." Gandhari, the helpless mother of Duryodhan, ran to meet Karna the day before war.

He touched her feet and promised in clear voice -

"Mate (mother), I promise to protect him till my last breath. Unless I die, none can even touch a single hair of him. I will be the last pillar of his army (that he surely was). But after my death, I can't promise anything."

Gandhari blessed him in teary eyes. She murmured softly "Proud of you, Radheya."

Yes, history will be always proud of this Radheya.

************************************