EIGHTEEN

Nausea swirled inside of Roxy's stomach like a tyrant. Her sweating hands gripped the steering wheel of the car tighter. She could do this. However, no sooner had she tried convincing herself of this, the nerves of seeing her estranged father became too much. Quickly slamming the brakes and throwing the door open, she emptied the latte and muffin her and Cleo had gotten at a café during their drive. The creamy coffee and blueberry muffin didn't look so delicious now, a puddle of purple chunks and runny brown milk. Cleo was quick to be at her side, sweeping her long hair from joining the vomit.

After a few more dry retches, Roxy gave a groan and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. Cleo watched her warily as she heaved herself back into the driver seat and blew out another nervous breath when her eyes met the house in the distance. One of the horses approaching the fence she was parked along waltzed up to her, swishing its tail against the flies.

Reaching through the window, she brushed its velvet muzzle with the backs of her fingers. 'Your life is much simpler than mine. You just eat grass then poop it out.' She chuckled when the horse gave a loud snort and shake of its head in response. 'Well, wish us luck.'

Roxy put the car into drive and began up the driveway again, travelling achingly slow. So slow in fact that her horse friend ambled along beside her. It took double the time it usually did to reach the garage, and as the car dipped down the ramp, she was suddenly made aware of what had happened after her departure. It was eery, driving amongst the empty garage. There wasn't a single car in sight. Nor was there a piece of debris to prove as to what had happened to the vehicles. Still though, she parked in her usual spot. The sound of the closing door echoed around her when she got out and for a while, she stood, clutching the keys in her hand tightly. Pondering as to whether she should get back in and drive away again.

But how much longer could she avoid the issues which would always be waiting to be resolved?

With Cleo, she began walking towards the door that joined the house, purpose in her steps. She wouldn't be weak. She wouldn't allow her fear to control her. They'd been the ones to mess up. Her steps slowed when she spotted the large crevices carved into the wall. Reaching out, she brushed her fingertips along the jagged ridges. Her wolf whined. Her human heart ached. Their soulmate had been in despair and they'd ran away. She dropped her hand back down to her side, regretting the last words she'd said to him.

You are a monster.

As much as she resented him, she knew she should have never said anything so cruel. Maybe if she hadn't, he wouldn't have gone on a rampage. Maybe the cruelty of her words had been the key to his unravelling. He was a blood wolf now, although he hadn't fully transitioned. After a year his wolf would be becoming crazy with bloodlust. No matter how angry or hurt she was, she had to remember that. For the safety of the pack.

Rolling her shoulders back, she resumed her path to the door. Her hand wrapped around the metal of the door handle before forcing her hand to twist it open. When the two sisters stepped inside, Olivia and Iris were sitting at the breakfast bar in their school uniforms poring over something on their laptops. A bowl of chips was in front of them and Roxy let out a bitter scoff. Where was Isaac? How was he letting them get away with eating chips for breakfast?

Both girls whipped their heads around to look at her, their eyes widening in surprise. She couldn't help but let her eyes roll at their useless attempts to ditch the bowl of chips into the sink.

'Roxy! You're back!' Olivia was the first to speak.

'Perks of being a werewolf girls, even when the snacks are hidden I can still smell them.' Roxy smirked, folding her arms across her chest.