Chapitre 8

Tanjiro was thinking about a way to help someone with their decisions when heavy steps approaching woke him from his trance. A head with back and blue passed through the doorway.

 "Kamaoi !"

   Inosuke seemed annoyed.

  Where could she be ?

  He was so hungry he could die.

 Tanjiro's minion was munching onto something.

  Pastries.

   He came closer, hunger making him salivate. His hands almost caught the package, unfortunately, this greedy girl kept it to herself.

 "Give it back ! Give it to me." he yelled

 - It seems Nezuko does not want to share with thee, Inosuke." said nervously Tanjiro, turning towards his sister : "Art thou still mad at him ?"

   She huffed in agreement.

 "Wha– That's not fair ! Give it to the Lord Inosuke."

   She shook her head, her locks bouncing as she did.

 "Where is Zenitsu ? Is he not with thee ?" he questioned, trying to change the subject, not distinguishing the peach and coal scent

 - I don't know. Monitsu said he needed to grab something from his work. Give me that !" he revealed absentmindedly, falling on the table

 - Work ? Does he work at the train station ?"

 - How should I know ? He is so secretive about this."

 - Okay, that is enough." He pushed the hungry kid on a chair. "Until thou apologize, thou wilt not have any of those." he declared, taking the box from Nezuko's little arms

 - Why ?"

 - Thou hurt her, and it is only right."

 - She was in my way." he retorted, in the same tone as a kid getting punished

 - It does not matter. Now, if thou wantest to eat, thou hast to apologize."

   His arms crossed, and his rather pretty face turned into a pout.

 "Fine." He gave up. If that boy acting like his siblings did sometimes in the past did not want to apologize, he would not have the box of wonders. His carmine eyes darkened, and went back to examining the list given to him.

   Time passed. His ears perceived the ticking clock. He sighed, not knowing which of the words was the most important.

 "I'm sorry."

   Eyes drowned in tears, truly feeling guilty, the younger boy blurted :
 "I am sorry. I should have not pushed thee." His crystal green eyes met those of the considering girl. "Can I have one of those ?" As if on cue, his stomach made a growling sound to enhance his sayings.

   Not being able to contain herself anymore, she threw herself on him. He was so cute, it reminded her of her younger siblings — dead younger siblings. She passed her hand in his soft hair, like one of a cute animal. Both of the survivors moved by his action, as he ate slowly.

 "Well... It did not took you long to tame him down." commented the cook

   She entered the room, followed by her companion, the baskets full of clean laundry in their arms. Petal pink eyes discried apparent bones from under a shirt.

   Bending over the meditating boy, the blond inquired :
 "What art thou doing, mate ?"

 - I was trying to organize a list. Let us say it is not my best achievement." he chuckled nervously

   Aoi came back for the second basket, disappearing again, allowing his long fingers to take the pencil. He was hunched over, eyes scanning.

 "Thou dost not have to–"

   The pencil strokes came not long after he led his eyes on it. Promptly, he ordered it, letting the other ones see.

   As his long-time friend laughed, still amazed by how fast he did it, the Kamado siblings were astonished.

 "Not bad, huh ? I classified them by importance, as well as price and by what is necessary in the next few days." he showed

 - This is amazing, Zenitsu. Where didst thou learn that ?"

 - It is nothing, really."

 - Was it at your work ?"

   His bashful features froze. His jaw clenched. He looked at the window.

 "It... is starting to get late."

 - Late ? It is not even–" the oblivious teenager protested

 - Say "Goodbye." to Aoi from me."

   The door softly closed behind him.

 "He really dug in his heels. I wonder why." the red haired boy thought out loud

   The door closed once more.

   His feet stopped when he felt a tug on his sleeve. Harshly, he pulled his arm back, but was met by a small figure, shoving a folded paper in his torso, in spite of having access to his raised up hands.

   He took it gently, brushing her fingers.

 "Is that a love letter ?" He teased.

   Whilst she left, annoyed by his flirty demeanor, he opened it.

  It is the first time a girl is offering me a paper !
  ...If we forget about the many shopping lists or bills.

   He covered his mouth. Red as he was, he would probably need more than his hand to hide his flush.

 "I did not know thou hadst a secret vegetable garden."

   Nezuko and Inosuke were talking about their favorite meals, whereas Tanjiro had joined Aoi.

   It was sunny, and surprisingly big. She not only had vegetables, but also fruits, herbs and flowers. Water fell on leaves and sunk into the soil. Sun nourished them and she cared for them.

 "I have to make something to eat for the inhabitants of this place. I am sure you would have been sick at some point of bread." She exhaled, arching her back, before walking towards him, cautiously avoiding her plants. "I am making enough of those for us, and the rest is sold."

 - Thou art working a lot, aren't thou ?"

   She scoffed :
"What makes thee think so ?"

 - Well, firstly, thou art making us food, using these products and what thou buy in the market. Thou dost the laundry and thou dost not even live there."

 - That is partially true." She looked at her hard work. "Nevertheless, I am forever indebted. The Kocho sisters offered me a lot more than they should have. I was supposed to be dancing on stage with them. It was already hard because of my stage fright, but after what happened..." She shook her head, closing her eyes full of those vivid memories. "I don't deserve it. I am a coward."

 - Do not say that. Thou art strong and kind, Aoi. Thou put so much effort to help us, that we all carry a part of thee in us. I am sure that thou art a reason of why their dreams is becoming possible."

   "...I wish it was true, Tanjiro."