Chapitre 3

When she stopped her head was spinning with joy. She could hear the cheering of her brother.

   Raising her arms proudly, her chest heaving from the effort she produced at such a high speed. Her eyes wandered at her side, wanting to thank this girl with such a beautiful hair pin, only to descry amber eyes of the violinist.

   She felt her cheeks heat up, and peered down at the small lady. A finger hovered over her tainted lower lip. She was smiling, eyes lost in vagueness.

 "Hmm... What did you thought about this, kids ?" she asked

   The three little ones jumped in joy, squealing with excitement how they loved what she did, and coming closer to express their admiration.

   The two musicians simply nodded. The purple orbits of the oldest shifted towards the twin tailed girl who stood up straight, after having said something to her brother. She just lowered her head, and walked away. The adult, dressed with a butterfly pattern on her shawl, sighed before starting :
  "You still have some work to do..."

   She came next to her, her fragrance floating in the air, and, for a moment, the long haired girl was embarrassed to be so poorly dressed.

 "But I see you have great potential." Her hand patted her pate.

   How did she know ?

   How did she know that she liked to be rewarded like this ? That it was the same way her brother did, after the way her mother and father — dead, just like her siblings, herself escaping by pure luck — did ? She was associating her with her — now, dead — mother figure.

 "Nezuko !"

   Her head shot up at the sound of the red haired boy. He sheepishly rubbed his neck : "Thou were spacing out."

   She placed her hand over her lips, trying to cover her face. The warmth of her brother's hand was the only thing she had left.

 "Excuse her, she is not like this usually. By the way, her name is Nezuko. She is... mute."

 - And you are ?" the blond teenager asked, a certain aura emanating from him

 - I am Tanjiro Kamado, her brother. It is nice to meet you all."

   The dancers chirped around them. The stringed instruments player observed them for an instant, then took his leave. The second one witnessed him going away, uncertain about what she had to do. She began looking for something in her purse, attached to her waistband, before getting interrupted by her master. She stood up and quickly arrived, on tip-toes, arranging her skirt.

 "This young lady is Kanao. Say "Hello.", Kanao."

   Her only answer was a quick peek at their faces radiating with joy, and a quiet "Good evening.", she was not sure she said out loud. The pair exchanged a glance, and Tanjiro leaned over a little to capture her attention, as her eyes were glued to the ground.

 "Hello." He tried, chuckling. "My name is Tanjiro Kamado, and that's my sister, Nezuko Kamado. But, heh, you already knew that, probably." He waited, and as honest as he was, he blurted : "I did not hear well, but I think you have a pretty voice."

   Silence.

 "My, my, how awkward. I apologize on her behalf. She sometimes is more talkative than that. You must have got quite a good impression on her." The implicitly mentioned girl's head shot up, as she glared at the woman, all flustered. "Do not make that grimace, you are cuter when you smile. Is she not ?"

   That was clearly a trick question.

 "We did not get the chance to see it, but I am sure it is." answered confidently the red haired boy, making the poor brunette get even rosier

 - Be careful, young man, or my sister will fall for your charms." giggled the woman, the purple tip of her hair bouncing as she did. "Now, now. Kanao, go put your things away and help Aoi. I think we will have new guests at the table today."

   With that being said, she did not need to be asked twice and got out.

 "My name is Shinobu Kocho. I am the master of this place and a dance teacher. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to make you stay here freely, and I suppose you do not have anything to pay." They shook their head. "Where are you from ?"

 - A little village, far from here."

 - And I assume it did not take you a short hour to come here ?"

 - It has been already four days since we left." He admitted.

   The woman plunged in deep thoughts.

 "I could... I could help in here and find something to do in town." He proposed, passing an arm over the shoulders of his sister. "I do not mind working as long as the people I care the most about are happy."

 - Then, it is settled." She jumped in front of them. "I am sure I can find you a room to stay in. Would you two mind being separated ?"

   The carnations met the rubies, worry apparent in them. His calloused hand squeezed her shoulder. They have been together for so long. It would be hard, for both of them, whether it was her fear of being alone for too long, or his to lose her. Something made him want to trust them. Trust them all, despite their rocky start. It would only be during the night, and during the day. They would still have moments to see each other. Plus, in a nearby future, she would have to go her separate way. He only had one condition.

 "No boys."

 - No boys." she agreed