2.09 ➸

╔═════════════╗
CHAPTER NINE
╚═════════════╝

➸︎

          "WE COULDN'T JUST LEAVE HIM behind. He would've bled out." Rick argued with the group, the exasperation and disbelief on their faces clear, before adding, "If he lived that long."

"It's gotten bad in town." Glenn explained, his gaze finding Maggie's before glancing back down at the dining room table.

The group all stood around the room with the table at the center. Lori, Carl, Jimmy, Patricia, Carol, Dale and Glenn had all opted to sit, and the rest of the group stood around them. Leona stood in the archway between the front door of the house and the short hallway that led back to the kitchen. Maggie stood to her right, but no matter where she stood, the redhead could feel the tension like humidity floating in the air.

"What do we do with him?" Andrea asked the million-dollar question that everyone seemed to be wondering. Leona had been pondering the thought before the meeting was called.

But before anyone could share their thoughts, Hershel appeared from another hallway that ventured deeper into the farmhouse, wiping his hands clean on a white towel.

"I repaired his calf muscle as best I can, but he'll probably have nerve damage." He glanced around the group, everyone tuned in to what he said. They would need every detail to make a decision that only a fool could call fair. "Won't be on his feet for at least a week."

"When he is, we give him a canteen, take him out to the main road, send him on his way."

Leona nodded, agreeing with her brother, when she heard the squeak of the front door. Tilting her head, she smiled softly when she saw Daryl creep into the room, his footsteps light like he didn't want to be seen. He took a spot leaning against the wall in the hall behind her, watching from the shadows. Realizing he wanted to be left alone, she went back to facing the group.

"Isn't that be the same as leaving him for the walkers?" Andrea asked.

Rick shrugged. "He'll have a fighting chance."

"Just gonna let him go?" Shane asked, annoyed. "He knows where we are."

"He was blindfolded the whole way here." Rick argued, shaking his head. "He's not a threat."

"Not a threat? How many of them were there?" Shane questioned rhetorically. "You killed three of their men, you took one of them hostage, but they just ain't gonna come looking?"

"They left him for dead. No one is looking."

"We should still post a guard." T-Dog said.

Hershel took a step toward T-Dog. "He's out cold right now. Will be for hours."

"You know what? I'm gonna go get him some flowers and candy." Shane told them, scoffing as he headed toward the exit. "Look at this, folks—we back in fantasyland."

"You know, we haven't even dealt with what you did at my barn yet." Hershel snapped at him, walking towards him as Shane halted in his tracks and turned to face the older man. "Let me make this perfectly clear, once and for all—this is my farm. Now, I wanted you gone. Rick talked me out of it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. So do us both a favor—keep your mouth shut."