Chapter 15- Proposals and propositions

Trigger warnings- Homophobia, blackmail and sort of cheating?

"Her what?" Kaiden asked, horrified at what his dad had just said.

"Eva has been looking for a suitable husband for Isobel for nearly half a year," his dad explained, "and as we are going to be forming a long term contract between our companies, it only made sense to bring our families closer together."

"Indeed," Eva added, "I can think of no one better than the son of one of my future trading partners."

"Well, what if I don't want to get married yet?" Kaiden replied.

"That depends on whether you still want to inherit the business," his dad snapped. "You'll find that it is quite easy for Raven to inherit the business instead."

"You are not going to blackmail him, dad," Raven interjected. "You can't force Kaiden to marry someone he doesn't love."

"He will once they get to know each other. Besides, it's not like Isobel is the worst possible choice he could make." He glared at Finley as he said that last part.

Kaiden scowled.

"Dad, could Kaiden and I talk with you, in private?" Raven asked.

"Very well," their dad replied, "but I'm not going to change my mind."

Their dad stood up and led the way out of the room. Kaiden and Raven followed. They walked into the room next door, which was a rather dusty and outdated office.

"What exactly is the issue here?" Their dad asked, glaring at the two of them.

"Dad, I don't even know her," Kaiden pointed out, "I'm not interested in her. She doesn't seem like she's my type."

"If this is still about that girl, Lydia, forget her, she's dead," their dad snapped. "This could be huge for the business, a contract with Kyrah Manufacturing would set up the business for life. Don't you want that?"

Kaiden didn't really care, but he couldn't say that to his dad. "Sure. But dad, this isn't about Lydia. Her dad blames me for her death but...."

"As he should. You put those horrible thoughts about the Ceremony and the country itself into her head. She started spewing them in the Ceremony and the game runners killed her because of it. It's entirely your fault."

"Kaiden didn't force her to say those things," Raven argued.

"So, if this isn't about Lydia, it's that boy Castel isn't it?"

"I told you how I feel about him already," Kaiden muttered.

"And I already told you that you're not allowed to be anywhere near him by yourself. No son of mine will engage in a relationship with another boy. I told you already, I will throw you out if I catch you with him alone."

"What?" Raven said, "you and Fin aren't allowed to be together?"

Kaiden, with tears in his eyes, nodded.

"What if I married Isobel instead?" Raven asked.

"Bird, you don't need to do that," Kaiden said, quietly.

"Don't call him that!" His dad scolded. "If you did do that Raven, Kaiden wouldn't be able to inherit the business."

"I don't care about that," Kaiden replied, "but if that were to happen, could I date Finley?"

"No, absolutely not."

Kaiden took a breath, "ok, Raven, I'd like to talk to dad alone for a second. Go wait with the others, I'll be there in a second."