Part 22 - Secrets Spilled

"Guys, there isn't much time left, can we put all our costumes on?" Sameera asked, closing her tiffin box. After a quick round of nods, the five pulled out their costumes and made a beeline for the restrooms. 

The three girls entered an already packed washroom and tried their best to change up in the common areas, where all the other girls were doing it. They felt intimidated by the number of beautiful costumes and dresses that some of them had put on. The loud washroom became too overwhelming for Swara, who asked Indu if they could go to a different one as soon as she was done wearing her top. Indu nodded, "Just a minute more Swara, I'm almost done changing." 

Swara gently pushed her way to the other side of the washroom and asked Sameera the same. She too nodded in agreement. They pushed their way out the door and let out a sigh of relief.

"I couldn't breath in there!" Swara confessed.
"Oh, me either. No way we could have done our makeup there," Sameera agreed.  They made their way to the other washroom, a little far from the room where the competition would take place. This ensured that it was practically empty, and Swara happily scurried to a cubicle to entirely change her outfit in peace. Outside, Indu and Sameera were left alone, since they had already changed.

"Let's get everything else on?" Sameera asked. Indu had been very quiet that day, but Sameera knew it was just nerves. Indu nodded and removed some jewels she had brought from home. Sameera did not have to do that, since she already had on a simple necklace and bangles. She opened her makeup purse and turned towards the mirror. While the mirror was good for seeing one's own face, it was not good for putting on the type of necklaces that Indu had. Sameera saw Indu struggling in the mirror. She wanted to help, but the thought of even standing that close to her made her flustered. 

"Do you... maybe want some help?" Sameera looked away while asking. She thanked the gods for her dark skin - it meant that her blushing wouldn't be visible. Indu looked at her, shocked, unable to hide the crimson in her own cheeks. Gulping, she whispered, "Sure."
Sameera moved behind Indu, and Indu handed her the two ends of the necklace. For some reason, the simple act of their hands brushing sent waves across their souls. It shouldn't have been anything new, they did play lovers on the stage, after all. 

'Is this just me?'

The necklace was tied, and Sameera peeked at Indu through the mirror. She was standing stiff as a log and was breathing so fast she could have been panting. Sameera's face fell. She quickly stepped away, thinking she'd made Indu uncomfortable. Tears pricked her eyes, and she turned away, blinking fast and calming her heart. She realised Indu was looking, so she coughed, hoping it would be enough excuse to have turned away. 

"Are you okay?" the concerned question came quickly.
"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," Sameera forced herself to smile. "I'll finish off your make-up first, then do mine?" she asked. Swara opened the cubicle door right then, saving the two. 
"Sure," Indu nodded, having had to calm her own heart.

Sameera quickly went to her purse and removed some lipstick, concealer and an eyeshadow palette. Indu was confused.
"Eyeshadow and lipstick?" 
"On this matter, you'll have to fully trust me," Sameera smirked, making the blood rush to Indu's face yet again. Swara watched on, becoming acutely aware of the situation almost instantly.

Sameera gestured for Indu to come closer to her, and Indu did so, hesitantly. This time, Sameera kept a small distance between them, but she soon realised that she had put herself in the same position as before. 
"Can you bend your legs a bit, Indu? It'll be easier for me..." she asked. Indu obliged.
Sameera opened her eyeshadow palette and gently swiped on some brown eyeshadow, completely engrossed in her art. Indu kept her eyes closed, trying to focus on her breathing, hoping and praying that she wasn't letting show how flustered she was. She then felt a smaller brush near her lashes. Finally, with eyeliner, Sameera had finished the job.